1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Footloose is a monster!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bodeanly, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    So, I quit playing in cover bands back in April, but an opportunity has presented itself and I find myself having to learn Footloose for a slot in a wedding/ party band. I am generally a note for note kinda dude, but this song is kind of killing me. I had no idea it was so fun and full of sweet runs and fills. I can tell it will soon be a favorite. But dang.

Here’s a cover of some dude jamming the first half:

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Great bassline

Mr_Moo, Sore Thumb, selowitch and 4 others like this.
  3. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    That's why I don't play in cover bands. I get lost outside of the main riff.

Sore Thumb and Bodeanly like this.
  4. Very cool. Looks like a lot of fun to play!

basspraiser and Bodeanly like this.
  5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    We worked that one up about a year before I quit my last band. Super fun tune and always filled the dance floor. I probably dumbed down the bass line a bit.

6. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    My band plays it, it's a real crowd pleaser. Funny thing is, before I joined this band, I had never bothered to learn it and had no need to listen to it. The band picked this and 2 other tunes (Plush and Interstate Love Song by STP) for my audition. Fortunately, I knew the STP songs, so I devoted my time to learning Footloose. I was stunned with that bass line, as I had no idea how awesome it was either, but I got enough down that the meat of the bass line was there. I audition, we play it, and the whole band gives me this stunned look. I ask how I did on that, and the guitarist said their old bassist never, ever played it like that, and they were thrilled, to say the least.

Now, I still need to learn the last chorus. I usually just play it the same as the first two, but that last one has all kinds of cool fills and runs going on, and definitely want to get as close to the recording as I can. Other than that last chorus, I play as close to note-for-note as I can.

7. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I was kinda hoping their previous bassist dumbed it down, but videos have proven otherwise. I’ve never played any of the songs they’ve selected for the audition, but this one is giving me the most grief.

BrentSimons and Spidey2112 like this.
  8. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Yeah, I remember thinking "Oh, this isn't so bad" and then the first chorus hits BOOM! LOL

Nathan East is awesome, no doubt about it!

Mr_Moo, pjbassist, Fretless1! and 5 others like this.
  9. I played this with my last covers band and it does fill the dance floor.... I didn't play the bass line note for note, but was pretty close, so that was good enough!

Mr_Moo and Bodeanly like this.
  10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

That's pretty cool! It's a fun song. I've always played that song in the key of G, like the Blake Shelton cover. It's similar and I've tried to catch most of the notes and keep the feel. Here's a performance from my previous band. The keyboard player is singing off camera. We still do it in my current band, the drummer sings it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

mikew31, Mr_Moo, bigjohnyeti and 44 others like this.
  11. We play it in one of my bands - it always always always goes over well. I too probably have the line dumbed down a bit in a couple spots, but keep it very similar to the recording. Really fun song to play!

BassCliff and Bodeanly like this.
  12. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I guess I'm gonna have to take a run at that one. Really good stuff!

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think the monster you're referring to is Nathan East.

And, yes, he is a bass monster. He makes anyone he plays with sound even better than they were before. He is on a very short list of bass players for whom genre is not an obstacle. He is a rock monster, funk monster, jazz monster, pop monster, soul monster, blues monster, etc.

14. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I guess when you're that good, you can play it however you wanna play it. I can't even imagine singing over some of those lines. Respect.

15. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Listen to the Live at the Red Rocks version

Bodeanly likes this.
  16. You should play the whole theatre show. Lots of fun on a couple of rehearsals and chops all over the place.

Jeff Elkins and Bodeanly like this.
  17. Quote From Daryl Hall(Hall and Oates) on his show 'Live from Daryl's house'.
    They were rehearsing the song Footloose with Kenny Loggins the writer and Daryl said, "Who knew Footloose was this difficult to play"
    or something similar was said. Nevertheless it's a tough song to play well without charts or sheet music.
    Just the composer telling you what your part is and when to play it

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

A very typical 80's pop line.

bdplaid and Bodeanly like this.
  19. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Mr. @Bodeanly,

Gosh. Thank you but you are much too kind. I am such a hack. I can't play like Nathan East. And if you watch this video of a transcription of the Mike Brignardello (according to the comments) track on Blake's cover you'll see how far off I am. :p

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Mr_Moo, Kitsapbass, Bodeanly and 3 others like this.
  20. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I think we need to concern ourselves less with whether you’re a hack and more with the fact that you not only haven’t fired the drummer, you’re lettin him/her sing. Have you learned nothing here? :p