Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For the Anthony Jackson fans.......

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Davehenning, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
  2. That link does'nt work for me.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
  4. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    sorry for screwing up the link.....

It was just a heads up to let you guys know about it.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    How long is he going to hold on to this "contrabass" phrase? Hell, noone uses the term but him, and he's hell bent on forcing this into the lexicon of music. He even forces artists that he works with to put it in their liner notes.

6. I think the term is already in the lexicon of music as below :-

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

contrabass

\Con`tra*bass"\, n. (Mus.) Double bass; -- applied to any instrument of the same deep range as the stringed double bass; as, the contrabass ophicleide; the contrabass tuba or bombardon.

As the original champion of the instrument I guess he should be able to call it what he wants really ;)

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I s'pose you're right.

8. Well maybe but we can surely agree the guy can certainly play that thing .... whatever it's called. :)

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Oh without a doubt! I've actually stolen from him since I've become primarily a 6 stringer!

10. Yeah me too.

Heck I even bought the bass !!

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Me too

:D

12. That's cool Brad !

How long have you had yours ?

I only got mine two weeks ago after waiting and searching for about 4 years !!

I would love to see a picture of yours.

I'm in the process of getting some pics of mine together.

13. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    You've got a Fodera Anthony Jackson model in the UK? Wow! Bet that didn't come cheap!

I seem to remember getting a Bass Centre newsletter a couple of years that advertised a used Fodera AJ - I think it was about £6000! :eek:

Back on topic, it's about time AJ got a presence on the web. I wonder if he'll have a discussion forum on his site? Could make for interesting reading! :D

14. I did have to save some pennies and have an understanding wife too. It did take a long time to find what I was looking for but finally it came up so I went for it. I'll post pictures soon.

I really look forward to seeing AJ's site in action. I think you're right a discussion forum could be, shall we say, lively !!

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW-
    "Contrabass" was in the English lexicon long before AJ.

The site looks promising...

16. That's absolutely correct as illustrated by the post I made earlier.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I picked up an older one a few months back, thanks to Woodchuck. Great bass. Big bass;). Here's the thread with pics:

Fodera AJC

18. Hey Brad

Nice bass !!
    How did I miss that thread ??

Beautiful top as well.

Hopefully have my pics up this weekend.

Thanks for taking the trouble to point me to your pictures :D

19. Dondi

Dondi

May 3, 2003
    NYC
    In case nobody made the point yet, Mr. Jackson "owns" that instrument. He is the only player that I know of that took the time to develope a "school" of 6-string playing that makes full use of the instrument.
    You have to think differently when you play 6-string or you are just a 4-string player that has a bass with two "appendixes" that you neither deserved or needed, and should have removed.
    My personal wish is that Mr. Jackson takes the time to share his approach in published form; it would be the unabridged, standard text on how to play "contrabass guitar." Bsss players that are writing 6-string "methods" so far, are just scratching the surface of what a 6-string player's world should have in it.

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    "Deserve"?

:D