Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Framus Triumph eub:good karma

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by D.A.R.K., Jan 31, 2006.

1. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    To make a long story short, my landlord's daughters' husband
    (a cabinetmaker and instrument collector) was invited in last month to check out my basses. He stopped by a couple days ago and gave me a really cool gift:
    [​IMG]
    It's an old Framus Triumph bass. It was played for awhile and then kept in an attic for a long time.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, it was stored with the strings in tension,
    and as it was subjected to extreme climate, the headstock needs to be repaired.[​IMG]
    So, the head needs to be reset, and the back of it repaired.
    These photos are as is, it came with its' peg in a wasted vinyl bag.
    I'm about to start cleaning it up....
    as you can see, it's black with actual binding on the body(not paint).
    Interesting bridge, strings pass through fairly small holes.
    The screw-on connector cable is different,
    makes me wonder how old it is.
    I intend on getting it fixed, in return for the generosity. It would be cool to play it for him.
    Anyone else own or play one of these?
    I'd love to hear your comments.
    thanks
    doug

2. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    It has an interesting bridge, small holes to pass through.
    The screw-on cable connection can be seen in this pic:
    [​IMG]

3. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Two more:
    binding/body
    [​IMG]
    bridge:
    [​IMG]

4. bassbo

bassbo

Jan 27, 2005
    Looks like it has potential. I bought an estate from a deceased piano technician several years ago. There were many instruments in the package including a Framus EUB. The neck was badly warped, so I took it to my favorite repairman, Tom Thoreson in Atlanta and had a new ebony fingerboard installed. It had to be fitted from a full size stock. Playes like a dream and comes in handy for certain ocasions. It was missing the fromt bridge cover, so it's nice to see how it looked originally.. I'd like to see the finished product. If I can figure out how to put a picture in the forum, I'll send you one of mine. I removed the green metallac paint and left it natural with the black edges.

Steve

5. Basso Musico

Basso Musico

Mar 10, 2006
    Boston, MA USA
    Endorsing Artist: AlterEGO instruments
    Looks like a beauty. Any other vintage Triumphs out there that you guys know of? And how does it play - I'm a double bassist and am VERY interested in Triumphs (including the Warwick version), but have yet to actually play one.
    Thanks, Rick

6. bassbo

bassbo

Jan 27, 2005
    Only problem is that it doesn't do well with arco. Bowing that close to the magnetic pickups picks up lots of noise and puts out a terrible tone. There may be a way of doing it with the right equipment, but I haven't messed around with it too much in that area. I just pick up my amplified carved bass and bowaway.
    Steve

7. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    update:
    i went ahead and fixed the headstock,
    but i'm looking for the correct connector for the pup system.
    the action is god awful, even for an orchestral setup, although the neck is straight enough.. typical fretboard ramp.....
    so i'll file the nut and modify the bridge to make it more playable.
    the bridge is just the strings run through holes drilled in wood,
    completely unadjustable, so i will carefully drill a set of holes a bit lower...
    cheers
    doug

8. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Last time I stopped in at Russo Music Center outside of Trenton, NJ, they had a new Warwick Triumph in stock. Pretty cool. I don't know if you're anywhere near there, though.

9. Basso Musico

Basso Musico

Mar 10, 2006
    Boston, MA USA
    Endorsing Artist: AlterEGO instruments
    Thanks. I'll check them out.

Rick

10. bassbo

bassbo

Jan 27, 2005
    Doug
    You must have one of the earliest ones. Grandfather of electric basses. Framus was out front in it's day. Mine was made in 56 or so, I think. My bridge has adjusters that are adjustable from the top with nylon or plastic inserts where the strings pass through. Also my pickups are mounted on a chrome plate and are about 5 or 6 inches above the bridge. Make it sing like it was meant to.
    Steve

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I don't usually poke around on this side, but that is one cool old Framus! I'm glad you're fixing her up. She's been neglected for far too many years! Congrats on the gift! That is too cool!

12. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Framus introduced the Triumph Bass at the Frankfurt Musik Messe in 1956. It is the electric bass designs that has remained unaltered the longest. (The P Bass guitar came in 1951 but changed to its present look in 1957, and the Gibson EB-1 violin bass guitar came in 1953 but was made only 1953-1958 and 1969-1971.)

Mikael

13. A beautiful instrument, to be sure. I'm glad you're giving it the love it deserves.