Frankenstein Bass Builders Club.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KAOSBass, Jul 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I could if I used a pick.....and the basses were left-handed. :D

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I will keep collecting until I have 40 basses
    I can play basses with tight spacing quite easily ... I have guitar player hands ... I don't have lumberjack hands ... Also I am very good with a pick.

For me the perfect spacing at the bridge is 2 1/2" or 2 5/8". The 2 3/4" or 3" spaced 5 string basses are too wide for me. And for me the perfect 5 string neck is actually a 4 string p-bass neck. I drill a hole for a 5th tuner and replace the nut.

Actually the spacing I use and prefer is a common spacing for 6 string basses. I just make my basses have the same spacing minus the 6th string.

The Rickenbackers are a little different because Rickenbacker actually uses guitar sized pickups. They have never made a pickup that is wider than 2 1/4" when you measure the pole pieces or rails. So with Rickenbacker pickups the widest you can get a bridge spacing is 2 3/8". If you go wider than that then you get the B and G strings outside the effective magnetic field of the pickup. That was the problem with the 4004cii5. It was a 5 string bass with weak response from the B and G string. They seem to be too busy to redesign the pickups and they don't seem to be willing to use pickups made by someone else.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I will keep collecting until I have 40 basses
    My new Frankensteined OLP mm bass with a jazz neck and an Audere 4 band preamp. The Neck is set deeper into the body and the bridge is moved back 1". This changes the look and tone of the bass.

http://www.3dentourage.com/425/olp-mm5.htm

Bass5-0137.jpg

Bass5-0127.jpg

4. Wow. 6 1/4 lbs!

Paulownia wood? Is that a soft wood? What does that wood compare to? Sound?

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The grain looks more like ash than alder and to me it sounds like...Paulownia...well, it sounds like any other bass I've ever played.

It seems to me to be about as hard as swamp ash.

6. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    I did NOT build it but I thought it could be worth to share as a bad example.:crying:

7. Are you sure your bass is 6 1/4 lbs?

I've got to look into this Paulownia thing, because "pounds are pain".

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yes, I weigh instruments with an accurate hanging digital scale.

9. OK, I don't know if this qualifies, but it's an old Vantage (PS900 series?) I bought as a carcass with no hardware.

P6050085.gif

P6050086.gif

G&B pups, this bridge:

P1010166.gif

a brass nut & a set of strings, & off we go!!

I also have this:

P9090159.gif

P9090160.gif

P9090162.gif

It has an Antoria (Fugi-Gen) neck, and possibly a (horizontal) 2-piece body made in the Moridaira factory in the 60's - identifiable by the 6 screw neck attachment. Apart from the pots & the bridge (wrecked) it's hardware's original - a pretty decent pickup.

G.

10. marcopalla

marcopalla

Aug 31, 2005
    ...probably you havn't notice 'bro, but there's a hole in the body!!

:p

looks killer, but two options: custom pickguard or wood pice, no?

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Thanks.

Actually I didn't think of using only the neck pickup until after I had received the body or I would have ordered it without the bridge pickup routing.

I was debating covering or filling the bridge pickup routing and may yet do that (a sticker perhaps?) but for now I'm digging the "deconstructed/Rat-Rod" look.

12. Scott Roc

Scott Roc

Sep 26, 2008
    Brooklyn baby!
    I am almost finished with Thrashin'stein here. It started as a Squire P that was pretty well abused. First I swapped out the neck for a Mighty Mite J neck, dropped Quarter Pounders in there, redid the electronics with 500k pots, as opposed to 250k that were already in there, and used a .047 Orange Drop capacitor in there, picked up the tuners from GC might be Allparts can't remember, the pickguard is Allparts and the thing didn't fit right so I filed it out, lastly I replaced the bridge with a Badass II (this made a HUGE difference in tone and sustain - I recommend replacing the Fender bridge - again HUGE difference).

endbed.jpg
    headstock.jpg
    headstock2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    sidebed.jpg

I'm calling the finish on this "Ghetto Sunburst" courtesy of a flathead screw driver, I'll be finishing it off by screen printing the body with this allover print. More pictures when that's done.

all-over-print.jpg
    yellowandblack.jpg

The head stock will be finished with this (after I fix the spelling, and tweak it in photoshop)
    Picture1.png

This took about a week and a half from conception of the idea to the end result here. And Thrashin'stein here really sounds amazing, especially playing in a thrash band, he cuts through the mix and adds lots of growl and punch, unlike any other bass I've had.
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!
    MGWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

13. rs_worthington

rs_worthington

Aug 5, 2008
    My Warmoth neck is GREAT. No dead spots, huge sustain, perfect in every way.

lace029.gif

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    basspic1.jpg

Warmoth wenge/ebony neck
    Vintage fretwire
    Hipshot Ultralite Tuners
    Custom Rosewood pickguard
    Orange drop cap (not that I need it ;)
    Squire body
    SD 1/4 pounders
    Labella 760 flats

15. Scott Roc

Scott Roc

Sep 26, 2008
    Brooklyn baby!
    Thrashin'stein completed!

Headstock1.jpg
    headstock2-1.jpg
    body1.jpg
    Bridge1.jpg
    back3.jpg
    back1.jpg

16. :meh: Is it a "Jazz" ? ...

IMG_0639.jpg

... is it a "StingRay" :)? ....

6676edf8.jpg

NO :eek:! It's a "SuperJazzRay" :p!

IMG_0638.jpg

Well, I like it anyway ;).

17. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
  18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I think the way to totally tie that design together would be to put a EBMM humbucker in the neck position. It would make the neck make sense. Maybe get a graphite-look pickguard? That would be pretty intense.

19. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    yeah!!!! i knew this place existed..

20. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    It makes the string length 35" and the fret spacing is for 34" scale. How do you set the intonation??

I love that! Great job!