Frankenstein Bass Builders Club.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KAOSBass, Jul 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    heres mine I actually posted this in anther thread like 2 years ago but id like the be in the frankenbass club; took off the ashtray on the bridge, added another SD QP single coil at the neck in series for extra output. noll 4 band preamp, pickup selector for neck or bridge pickup/ p-pup on always, series parallel switch, preamp on/off, DR flatwound strings. badass II bridge, jazz neck with faux inlays i did to exact specifications of fender blocks. new pickguard on now so i dont have that ugly piece of sheet metal on there. wouldnt ever trade this thing in.

Attached Files:

• bass.JPG
      bass.JPG
      File size:
      33.2 KB
      Views:
  2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I like it. IMO, it sounds fuller and more dynamic than the standard single coil pickups with low mids more like a dual coil P bass pickup but with better highs.

I think the Alumitone can sound kind of "hard" if I try to slap and pop on it but I don't usually do that (except as a test). The pickup is fairly punchy so I have an idea that it could be the slap transient is just too much for the pickup and/or amp and lowering the pickup may alleviate that.

The Alumitone is a humbucker and extremely quiet.

3. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Dallas Texas
    And here she is all done...... FINALLY!

IM003556.gif
    IM003557.gif
    IM003558.gif
    IM003559.gif

4. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I guess this qualifies as a frankenbass, & since I've been spraying this pic all over TB this morning I might as well keep going:
    [​IMG]
    Schaller bridge
    EMG J pickups
    EMG BTC electronics
    Gotoh machines
    Warmoth body
    custom Michael Dolan neck (4-piece quartersawn eastern rock maple w/ graphite reinforcement bars, rosewood fingerboard)

5. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    I'll play!

Here's my only Franken bass. It's my first bass, an early 90's Japan Squier. I made new handwound pickups for it, changed the buzzing cheapo tuners for a better set of no name Asian tuners, made a new bone nut for it and routed the P neck into a J neck. Yes, you read that right :D It's much more comfortable now, I hate P necks.

The truss rod is screwed though, so I'll probably pull the fretboard out and change it whenever I get some free time.

P053.jpg

P034.jpg

6. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    statusjazzbodyfront.gif
    backheadstock.gif
    P1010144.gif
    statusjazzback.gif
    I ended up swapping the novaks for fralins. Lull has them custom wound. Dead Silent! Just the nicest pickups I've ever used.
    The status Graphite neck needed some frets glued and I had it pleked. Jeebus! I want to Plek everything now!! battery box on back for the side led's. Wasn't enough room for the switch so the tone is a push/pull to turn them on and off.
    Went with an aluminum hipshot A bridge. Highway 1 body. Warmoth vintage pearl pickgaurd. Rothstein controls with v-cap. Weighs in at a stealthy 8.8lbs.

7. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    all of my personal basses are frankensteins...

[​IMG]

8. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Lead Bass (about 20 years old):
    Can't remember what brand it was, but the hard ash body is the only remaining original part. Mods include:
    DiMarzio or Chandler neck (can't remember)
    Schaller pegs
    Badass I Bridge
    Select P and J pups (wanted lots of treble)
    Schaller straplocks
    homemade dice knobs
    homemade thumbrest between pups
    plexiglass under the G string so my finger doesn't slide too far under the strings when popping them.
    [​IMG]

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    What about your Valenti?

10. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Will post pics soon.

Squier Body
    Mighty Mite maple neck
    repainted by Pat Wilkins in Honda Element Orange (looks better on basses than cars)
    EMG
    Hipshots
    Badass
    Warmoth white pearl pickguard

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Fender P-Special body, Allparts neck, Fralin pups, Hipshot bridge & tuners, Fender pg.
    [​IMG]

12. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Inactive

Jan 11, 2006
    Are the tuners expensive? I'm thinking about doing a total re-haul on my Squier with the following specifications:

- Fender Noiseless Jazz pickups
    - Black Hipshot tuners with the de-tuner things
    - Black Badass II bridge
    - Old Jazz bass style knobs

Anyone have an idea how much that would cost?

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Add what you want to the cart, and it will give you a total...www.basspartsresource.com

14. Really similar to what I'm thinking about doing, except mine will be black w/ a maple fretboard. I like it a lot!

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Always fun to show off the Strangeberger:

[​IMG]

Almost nothing is original on this - just the body and the bridge. I've installed Rio Grande Pitbulls, gutted the preamp, installed a Moses fretless neck (and rolled the edges myself), and installed a Yamaha midi pickup (I had to shave down the bridge pickup ring to make room for the midi pickup under the strings - it was a tight fight between the bridge pickup and the bridge). Although I have two other fine basses (Dingwall and an Ovation), this is still by far my favorite.

(My apologies for the fingerprints - I spend more time playing bass than polishing them.)

16. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    That's the TransTrem, isn't it, how does that work differently than a normal whammy bar, if you don't mind me asking?

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes, it's a TransTrem - one of only about 140. I used to have two of them, but one was pretty much done for, so I gutted the best parts of it and combined them all into one superbass.

Typically, the TransTrem works by shifting each string at a seperate pace, therefore allowing for the entire thing to be shifted in tune with itself. Lock it into place with the transposing pin, and presto! You're now in D, or C, or wherever. Unfortunately, I tune my bass in 5ths, using super heavy strings, so I can't get the TT to set up perfectly. This isn't really much of an issue for me, as it's still the smoothest and most in tune trem ever made, and I don't have much use for reaching most of the notes afforded by the transposing feature (my tuning reaches every one of them except a low B).

18. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Cool, sounds like a great system,I use Kahler's, and have no problems, great trems IMO, but I'm always interested in other systems. It's a shame they are so rare, and with a zero percent chance of re-issue.

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not quite zero. Once I become super famous, Steinberger will be forced to reissue them based on my popularity.

20. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Well then, get to work, I want one, soon......... can you be super famous by 09?