1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Freddie Washington love

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rocktometrist, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Rocktometrist

Rocktometrist

Oct 3, 2012
    Seattle
    I've been checking out Freddie Washington (mostly his stuff with Patrice Rushen), and am blown away by his grooves, effects, and pocket. So funky! Anybody know other stuff of his to check out?

Pop goodness:

Funk goodness:

Fusion goodness:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    MD Stingray likes this.
  2. Rocktometrist

Rocktometrist

Oct 3, 2012
    Seattle
    THIS TRACK KILLS! How have I not heard this before?:

3. Rocktometrist

Rocktometrist

Oct 3, 2012
    Seattle
    The 1978 Patrice album is just sick. It's half Sly / half Stevie Wonder. This one is a nice ballad:

4. Rocktometrist

Rocktometrist

Oct 3, 2012
    Seattle
    No idea who this bass player is, but more Patrice Rushen, on keys as a kid in 1974. Pretty cool!

5. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    i caught him with steely dan a few summers back- KILLED IT! he played his P-bass the whole night- with a classic Smith BT-5 just hanging out on a stand next to him... I really wanted to hear that bass but was in no way disappointed. What a wonderful cat!

6. yep seen him with steely dan twice, solid player great groove.

7. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Motown 25 whilst JJ was sitting in the balcony.

MD Stingray likes this.
  8. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Ready Freddie! Saw him with the Dan and realized I was watching one of the best P bass players ever!!

9. Also check out his performances with the Dukes of September, which is a collaboration between Donald Fagen, Boz Scaggs, and Michael McDonald. There's a DVD from a November 2012 concert at Lincoln Center in New York City--I think it was released in early 2014. I believe this performance was featured on a PBS Great Performances special from the same time (early 2014). Freddie definitely has a killer groove.

10. He's the reason why I just got a P Bass after 35 years of playing Jazz basses. I think I'm still going to mainly play J basses but when i pick up the P ..he's the one that guides me.

11. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    If you go to the Patrice Rushen site, click on "Music videos" tab at the top, once the page finishes opening (I couldn't supply the links to either or both pages of interest).

Then, at the bottom of the page, click the "from the classics" icon.

You will find two videos featuring the Forget Me Nots tune in rehearsal form (possibly for an upcoming concert?).

After the first track finishes, click the Play next track icon (>) at the bottom-right of the video juke box player to view an extended rehearsal of the tune.

PR site:

The Website of Patrice Rushen. Welcome.

12. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    His Patrice Rushen material is just the tip of the iceberg. Check him out!

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I saw him with the Dukes Of September, there's a reason cats like that get so much work, groove for days!

14. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    I think JJ at that time already had some issues with his chops.

However they should have called James (and all Funk Brothers) on stage though, to pay respect.

Freddy did a great job.

Clark Dark likes this.
  15. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I saw him about a year ago in a relatively small auditorium with great sound. It was a duo gig with Ray Parker Jr. Just the two of them having fun and playing great. He used the Precision and a Aguilar rig (Parker had a Gretsch that looked like a 6120 straight to a Deluxe Reverb, and also played piano on a few tunes). That night convinced me that I don't NEED flats on my Precision as Washington's sound varied through the set with just his passive tone control and his attack. They did a wide range of material, much more that just Ray's stuff, including "Forget Me Nots". Wonderful night for me, 'though my wife was a bit embarrassed by my frequent comments about seeing Freddie. Oh, yeah, the Spinners were there too, but it was really all about Freddie for me.