Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frequency Analyzer pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jahsekou, Feb 1, 2005.

1. anybody own one?

in your honest opinion should I stick with the Bassballs or move to this one??

2. have you played one yet? if you like it when you play, and have a possible use for it, i'd say go for it. personally, i'd stick with the bassball, but i don't know...i'm not you!

i'd say for the price, i'd try it out first. they look a little too expensive to just buy blindly...

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    the frequency analyzer is a ring-mod, right? :confused:

4. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    correct. comparing the frequency analzyer with the bassballs didnt make sense to me..

actually, im kindof interested in how this thing sounds with bass. anyone have any experiences?

5. its a ring mod...i would suspect that most ring mods sound very similar, and i think Tecx has one...maybe he's got some samples?

6. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, i'm kind of stuck between an eq pedal and a turnip, myself. ;)

7. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have a frostwave blue ringer... But no, every ring mod is diferent, some work very wel on bass - other just don't (and some just suck)... In my experiance the F.A. always sounded very un-musical, now ring mod is a disonant effect - but good ones can still be musical. If you guys would like I could record some clips of what a bass sounds like ring modulated?..

Alex

8. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Personaly I an all hot and bothered over a fuzz and a new hip... :meh:

funny man, too funny. :D

9. ah ah ah....not a comparison my friend, I am just looking for a wide variety in sounds

10. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    May I up this thread ?

I just got a used, broken EH Frequency Analyzer, and repared it today. It costed me 69€ + 12€ for a new transformer + some work. So 81€ for an old lady, direct from the 70' (it's the original one, with a different box). I'm quite happy ! :smug: :hyper:

I read in a quite search that some consider the FA is the "worst ring mod ever made". But it sounds great to my ears !

I have some question : how do you think I could sell this original EHX pedal ? Do some of you use ring mod, when, how ?

11. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Up !

I'm currently willing to sell my Frequency Analyzer. Do you know how much I should sell it ? It's a vintage one, frome the 70's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    remember Excite Bike? Or Donkey Kong? or that Cannonball game?

That's what the Frequency Analyzer sounds like ;)

13. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    I finally finished repairing/modding this pedal. It looks like this :
    [​IMG]

I'll keep it, it's a great sound machine.

14. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    This will show how little I know. :D

I would have thought that a frequency analyzer was a passive device that could display the frequency(ies) present in a signal that was being passed to / through the device.

Usually lookgin something like one of these...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it appears that it is a device which modifes the signal, or at least certain frequency(ies) to produce a different sound.

Hmm.... And what does "mod ring" mean? :confused:

15. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Its called Ring Modulation because after your sound is modulated it "rings" classic ring mods gave most sounds a bell like quality.

cheers

Alex

16. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Frequency analyzer doesn't mean anything... It's just the brand name of the pedal. ;)

The effect is called Ring Modulator, Ring mod in short.

17. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    in case anyone is still curious, half a year later, i went with the turnip.

mmm, turnipilicious. :cool:

18. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Its called a ring modulator because the schematic diagram for the circuit involves a ring. Has nothing to do with the sound produced, no matter how bell like the sound is.

19. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    You eeediot, turnips suck! Beetroots are the true masters of tone!

20. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    ...But there's another reason, I believe: the original ring modulator circuits used a 'diode ring' (as opposed, for instance, to a 'bridge' interconnection) and a transformer to get the effect (which was originally considered an 'analog computation', rather than a 'sound effect').

Joe