1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Frequency range, Power handling & EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Forrrest, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Forrrest

Forrrest

Mar 10, 2013
    I was wondering if a speaker is being sent a frequency outside of it's frequency range (extra low stuff), does that translate into wasted power & should I just eq out those frequencies? school me.

2. Amp - FAQ's

Its not only wasted power, but it is also wasted mechanical excursion.

3. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    I love when people link the FAQ, there is like two hundred threads in there. The FAQ must be pretty daunting for newbs :eek:

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, that is wasted power, and you can get a surprising boost in overall clean volume by EQing out the super low range.

Some amps have good-enough EQ controls for this, but some need external help in order to turn down just what you don't want, without gutting the lows you DO want. Look into the Fdeck v3 filter for an example, there are threads about it here.

5. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    ^^^THIS^^^

The fDeck is great for noobs and pros alike...patch it in, dial it up until you hear your lows shrink, then dial it back a tiny bit before that. You sense the lows just as much and sometimes even better, give your amp more headroom, and protect your speakers...great tool and you don't have to know a thing about eq to use it

6. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REMOVE THOSE FREQUENCIES!

If the speakers can't operate in that range, what good reason can you think of to send those frequencies to it? It wastes amplifier power, too. If it's below human hearing, it's the third reason to NOT send these frequencies. Use a filter that comes before the amp, not after.