Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Frequency Response?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Dudie, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Dudie

Dudie

Apr 26, 2004
    Sweden
    Planing to buy a EBS neo 110 cab.

Frequency Response 50 - 18k Hz
    Sensitivity 99 dB
    Power Rating 250 W RMS
    Impedance 8 ohms
    Volume 32 liters
    Height 34 cm / 13"
    Width 49 cm / 19"
    Depth 34 cm / 13"
    Weight 11 kg / 24 lbs

Does that look OK? What about the Frequency Response, is that enough for DB?

Thanx

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I can't answer on the basis of frequency response, but I do believe the true answer lies on either side of your head. Have you tried the cabinet? How does it sound? There are plenty of people who will argue that such and such pitch lies at such and such Hz, which is below the frequency response of the speaker (or microphone, or EQ setting, etc...), which makes it unsuitable for a certain purpose....and yet sometimes I'll try whatever it is and decide that it sounds just fine in spite of all that.

I've read a ton of techie articles about fundamentals and overtones, but have found that only my ears can tell me whether something is right or not. An example: a while back, I had an EQ unit which promised a steep rolloff of everything under 80Hz. Looking at the fundamentals of the notes on the E string, this should lessen their impact, since they fall below this threshold. In reality, the E string got so much cleaner when this filter was engaged that the notes I played on it seemed much louder than without it. Go figure.

In short, follow your ears - you can trust them more than a spec sheet.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Well, actually there is no meaningful frequency-response spec here at all! 50 Hz - 18 kHz, +/- how many dB? In any event, Chris is correct that you simply must listen. Even if you had a frequency-response spec, that does not tell the entire story. There are room-interaction effects, personal preference, and on and on ad infinitum.

4. DRURB's right - the frequency response is quoted for free space i.e. on top of a pole in the middle of a field, or in practical terms, an anechoic chamber. Once you get reflctions from floors, ceilings and walls into the equation, you'll get a useful response well below 50Hz.

5. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    In reality, you really need to play through that cabinet with your bass and your amp head to really hear it. Change any one variable and the results may not be what you want - and not by just a little bit. It can sometimes be the difference between "I love it" or "I hate it".

6. Dudie

Dudie

Apr 26, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanks for the answers. Im going to order the 12" version without trying it first :rolleyes: . One of swedens best DB players ( Hans Backenroth ) use one and he answered me with mail and said that the 10" sounded a bit thin but the 12" had a realy warm and punchy sound, and 24lbs.... I thrust him :eek:

/ Ola

7. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    :eek: Indeed.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

And his last name is "Backenforth", no less. :eek:

9. Dudie