1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fret buzz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Keithy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Keithy

Keithy

Oct 5, 2013
    Action was set perfectly on my new Musicman Sterling in July and since the uk weather has turned colder I am getting fret buzz along the first 3 to 4 frets. Iam trying to warm the neck gently and shape it. Do I really need to be fiddling with the truss rod, lifting the action or even changing the strings? Advise me somebody please.

2. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    The MM's I've had all needed sporadic truss rod adjustments .

Leave the bridge alone

Adjust the truss rod a little at a time .

Look up the care manual online , it explains care and maintenance in a easy to understand format.

3. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Nothing to be afraid of adjusting a truss rod, it is not difficult or dangerous to your bass as long as you don't overdo anything.

Ernie Ball setup instructions here :- http://www.music-man.com/faq/music-man-basses/how-do-i-set-up-my-music-man-bass.html

You should only have to adjust the truss rod if it was set up to your liking before the weather changed. Probably more to do with the humidity than the temperature.

It is worth learning how to set your own bass up, it has saved me a small fortune in guitar tech fees (and fuel costs) in the last 40+ years. I check the setup and adjust if necessary every time I change strings.

4. Keithy

Keithy

Oct 5, 2013
    Cheers fellow tb users. The warming worked for a couple of hours but truss rod adjustment is definitely required. Thanks for the links.:):thumbup:

5. Keithy

Keithy

Oct 5, 2013
    Thank you. Followed the link and she sings beautifully once more.

6. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Good to hear you sorted it yourself. :bassist: