1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fret buzz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by zatan130, May 20, 2012.

1. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    My precision bass is buzzy as hell. I recently had it set-up, but the store clerk said nothing of the fret buzz.

It doesn't bother me, because it only buzzes unamplified. When I plug it in, I can hear the buzzing from the bass, but not from the amp. So that means that signal is not buzzing, right?
    So is this actual an issue I should worry about?:help:

2. carlis

carlis

Dec 28, 2005
    To put it simple: no, particularly if you prefer the action that way.

When it comes to fret buzz only and other factors put aside (i.e. truss rod, neck relief, strings, everything are fine), a good set-up is to find the balance (compromise) between low action and fret buzz. You can get rid of all fret buzz at the cost of a relatively higher action, but you may also enjoy an extremely comfortable/fast neck at the cost of some buzzes here and there.

Fret buzz MAY become a problem when you are recording the bass directly line-in, where SOME bassists choose to raise the string height a bit to diminish the issue -- but there are still a lot of tracks full of buzzing out there in commercial tunes.

If you are mic'ing the amp, as long as you don't hear buzzing coming out from the amp, the mic won't pick up any buzz, either.

3. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    No, it doesn't affect line-in either, but I was under the impression that fret buzz was bad for strings?

4. Masashi is God

Masashi is God

Nov 13, 2011
    Well everyone on here seems to love fret buzz... but imho there is a tonal difference, even if you can't here the buzz through the amp, do the notes sound as round and have as much sustain than with a higher action?

Try it and see where your happy tonaly and play ability wise.

5. carlis

carlis

Dec 28, 2005
    Whether a string contacts with the fret right after the one it is pressed on (which causes fret buzz) or not when it is vibrating, it has to touch/buzz on the "fretted one", doesn't it?

That's what people call "fret eater" -- you will see an aged bass with those dents on top of frets.

So, whenever you play your bass, you are doing "bad" to the strings -- they are supposed to get old, dead, and replaced on a regular basis.

Don't ever care about it. Just play and enjoy, and replace the strings when the time comes...