1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless Bass Recommendation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jext, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Jext

Jext

Jan 10, 2012
    Hello folks!

For a few months now I've borrowed a cheap Cort 5-string fretless from a friend of mine, to play around with.

I really have fallen for the sound and feeling of playing a fretless bass and I've decided to make one my main instrument in my band.

Our musical genre is mostly hardrock/stonerrock. I've played a Warwick $$ Corvette up until now, it's an awesome instrument with really great sound.

This led me to wanting a Warwick $$ Streamer bass as my fretless, but it turns out it's very very expensive here in my country.

Do you guys have any recommendations for other basses that could fit my bill? I might end up with the Warwick but I figured maybe some of you have some tips. I want a 4-string bass with humbucker power!

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    What about a G&L L2000? Great basses for the money. I think there may be a fretless in the the classifieds here...:cool:

3. Jext

Jext

Jan 10, 2012
    The G&L 2000 is produced in the US am I correct? If so I'm afraid it's even more difficult to obtain for me here in Europe. The Warwick is atleast produced in Germany, but the price has increased 5% while the retailer discount has shrunk.

I'm also looking for a bass that doesn't have that "fender" standard look if you know what i mean. Regular form on the body and pickguard is so common, I like to stand out a bit. :)

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Why not a fretless Corvette $$ to match your fretted?

Looking to save, you could get a new Rockbass, they use the same hardware, pickups and electronics now as the higher end stuff, and the fretless ones still have ebony fingerboards. That said, fretless Warwicks sound mighty good.

5. Jext

Jext

Jan 10, 2012
    The only negative thing I have to say about the Corvette is that it is way unbalanced. When playing live it's a hassle to keep the neck balanced because it's always dragging towards the ground.

I've read that the Streamer is basically the same bass, but with better balance on the body. It also looks pretty much the same so I figured it's a better choice for me.

Wow, I didn't know the Rockbass had the same hardware. What is the difference between the Rockbass model and the Warwick, is it just that it's produced a bit cheaper?

6. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    IIRC, it's mostly production, and they use maple necks rather than ovangkol, looking at their site, the Corvette $$ is passive rather than active, though.

On the upside, they don't charge extra for fretless options, as some do, and it seems they have a Rockbass Streamer too. Certainly worth thinking about anyway, if you like Warwicks.

7. Jext

Jext

Jan 10, 2012
    I see.

I would very much like active electronics, it really is a helping hand with the sustain on a fretless..

I'm really not sure about the Rockbass because of the pricing, more expensive is usually better right? That's how my head works anyway. :)

The price I have to pay for the Streamer $$ Fretless new from retailer is 2900$. It probably sounds outrageous to you, and i expected it to be atleast 300$ less.

Sigh, I should probably wait and see but I'm going to gig pretty soon and really want a new fretless.

8. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Usually, but not always, sometimes you can find gems for cheap, and of course preference does come into it.

Active is the thing though, while you can buy pre-amps and put them in passive basses, you might not want to mess about with modding, and if you want the higher quality axe anyway, why not?

As for $2900, outrageous, not really(TBQH, I've spent that much on a bass myself). Top class instruments cost, just the way it is. Some cost even a lot more than that even.

At that price though, there are a million options, if at all possible, I'd visit a few shops and try out some of their best wares.

9. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    How about this one? Pretty sweeeeet!

Attached Files:

10. Jext

Jext

Jan 10, 2012
    Yeah I hear you on that Darkstrike. :)

Thing is, there's basically only 2 shops in my town and a fretless bass on this pricepoint is a very niché instrument.

They don't want to order up anything if I'm not going to buy it, because they won't get it sold that way. So i don't really have the luxury of trying out the wares before i buy them. I got another offer from the other shop on the Streamer $$ now though, about 500$ cheaper.

What kind of bass is in your picture McFretless? It looks very nice.

11. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Call me confused about what your budget is, and the name of your country (or continent).

Of my two fivers (one expensive, one very affordable), My cheapie (Millennium BXP) was defretted before I found it on the used rack. It's a keeper, and my only fretless at the moment. Keep shopping, and trying basses in the 'used' section of the stores.

Good luck on your quest!

12. Jext

Jext

Jan 10, 2012
    I live in Norway. :)

My budget is about 2500$ I guess.

Darkstrike: Yeah I hear ya. The bass I'm getting will definately have active pickups from stock. The problem is that my city only has 2 guitar shops, none of them are willing to take in expensive fretless basses that are not for immediate sale. They are kind of a niché instrument so they won't be sold unless ordered specifically. That means I can't really try out which ones I like.

I got an offer from the other shop now that is about 200$ less. I'm going to go to the store and have a talk with them later. The price is atleast less outrageous!

jsbarber: That's a nice one indeed! Do you have any experience with it?