1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fretless help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SockMonkey35, Mar 16, 2009.

1. SockMonkey35

SockMonkey35

Jan 5, 2009
    I'm looking into getting a fretless bass, i was wondering to those of you who have them which ones are good for a low budget, i've recentely upgraded like my whole rig and even a bass, but now im GASing for a fretless real bad haha

2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Low budget is very subjective, best you actually put a figure down. What we talking here: $200, $400, $800, $1500?

3. SockMonkey35

SockMonkey35

Jan 5, 2009

4. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    Squier VM Fretless Jazz...

5. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    +1 :very nice bass IMHO and you'll have a bit of cash left too!

6. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    I have the Squier VM, love the bass. I have had it since Nov and I play it about 4 days a week. No problems and very minimal string wear on the neck board. I definitely recomend this bass.

7. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    SX can also be a good option. If you decide that you're not a fretless guy later on, you won't be out much cash. I'm playing my SX fretless almost all the time now that I put bartolini's in it :D

8. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I like the looks of the Dean Edge. Can't recommend it though, since I haven't played it. But a two octave, unlined board in the sub four bills neighborhood? Please!
    Don't care for the headstock though. But nothing a jigsaw, wood rasp and some sand paper couldn't fix!

9. I think most people interested in a fretless should look into the Squier VM Fretless Jazz. It's a nice bass and has an ebanol fingerboard so there's no worry what so ever if you intend to use roundwounds.

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Yep.

This bass kills.

11. +1 for the SX. I have a douglas right now that I really like, too.

12. Steamboat Willy

Steamboat Willy

Mar 2, 2009
    I'm really interested in getting a Squier VM. Anybody that has one, please post your pics!!!

13. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    IMG_0980.

14. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
  15. Squier VM fretless and be done with it! :D :bassist:

16. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    +1

17. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    +1

I tried a fretless Squier VM yesterday. Good bass for the money - not much different from a Fender, and I prefer the sound of the ebonol fretboard over rosewood.

3 really dead notes in position 5, 6 and 7 on the G-string, but the Fenders I have tried recently were equally bad.

/Alexander

18. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I have a cort b4fl that was $300 new. I personally like it with the bartolini pickups and eq that came with it. Good tone and great playability. If you put flats on it you will get great tone and comfort. I tried tape wounds on it before too. Awesome tone but they just wouldn't stay in tune for me. Hope this helps.

19. Pedulla?

Pedulla?

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    +1 for the Squier

20. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    Squier VM undoubtedly. I have had mine for a year and I'm still mpressed every time I pick it up.