Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Jul 7, 2004.

1. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    So I want a fretless precision (love the way they sound on the last couple fo deftone's albums). I've got a neck coming from warmoth and an excellent tech to do the work. Here's my question. I've decided to use a cheap donor bass for the project and upgrade things like pickup and hardware as i go (pickup first). what cheap p should i use? I'm thinking Squier P, Fender MIM P, or Essex P. Let me know which one you would use and why.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd suggest anything with a well constructed, alder body. Squier Affinity basses are well constructed and they're the only Squiers with alder bodies (IIRC, the rest are poplar). MIM is another option, a more expensive, but much better construction. Never played an SX, so I can't advise on one.

If you can spare the extra dough, I'd spring for the MIM P and a new pickup. Have you thought about what one you might want? What are you thinking hardware-wise?

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Essex (aka RondoMusic.com) has fretless P basses. in fact, i am considering get one myself. i just picked up a used Essex Jazz bass with a maple neck and fretboard and i love it. so i would recommend Essex basses for a project such as yours.

Beware though, from what i have read, the Essex basses and aftermarket necks arent directly swappable, i.e. different size neck heels. I dont know about the Squire's though. But it may be that the MIM Fender is your only choice.

Why is that fretless P-Basses arent very popular, whereas the fretless J-basses are?

4. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    fretless p's aren't popular because Jaco didn't play one.just kidding, i don't really know why. i think the squires are poplar. the last one i picked up was really light. plus the tuner's were kinda sketchy looking. might have to try one of affinity's

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

Perhaps they should be renamed to Fender Jaco Bass. :cool:

6. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I used an essex body with a mighty mite fender replacement neck. Although the heel width was fine and snug, the neck pocket was deeper than an "standard" fender. For me, I couldn't play with the strings that close to the body and also loosing that thumrest on the pickups since they had to be down lower.

Just my experience.

7. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    thanks mazinger, exactly the kind of info i was looking for.

dep, i thought that was what "J bass" stood for :p