1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fretless songs to learn ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Raven nevermore, Aug 22, 2012.

1. I've been working on the theme to "Northern Exposure" and Grover Washington's " Just the two of us" which is actually played on fretted, but sounds beautiful on fretless of course !! What other songs do y'all recommend ?

2. I love playing The Beatles' "Come Together" on the fretless, for all the slides and bends.

I also have this book, which has a bunch of transcriptions in it, plus some good exercises. I've just wrapped up the first set of exercises and am about to work on the first song, "King of Pain" by the Police. If you're interested in the book and want a song list let me know.

3. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Birdland, Weather Report

4. Matthew, excellent suggestion !! So funny, so many years playing bass and not until I picked up the fretless did I rediscover some already great bass lines. Fred , I'LL check that song out ! More suggestions please !!

5. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    I play every song I do with a Fretless!

6. Stereo, I am trying to do that too. My band has been accepting. I just need to score a five string fretless and I will be all set !!

7. Start learning EVERYTHING on "Jaco" Jaco Pastorius' self titled album. I worked on it seriously for 10 yrs. I would say that at one time I could play about 50% of that album. I would guess most good players that aspired to play the frettless have done the same as well.
    The win is that these lessons will serve you well for life. I really wish I could remember all the chops I learned by doing this. haha the reality is you will probably never get to use all the information you learn but it will be an incredible education.
    And it will make you a better musician.
    Good luck on your journey and never forget the way to get to Madison Square Gardens is......practice, practice, practice. LOL

peace Kirk

8. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    I use a number of 4 bangers. I don't give the band mates the option of Fretless or fretted. I choose Fretless!

9. Thank you guys for all the advice and encouragment !! And Yes Stereo, as long as I hold the bottom down, I shouldn't recieve too much flack from my guys either !!
    My guitarist plays in a lot of different tunings so I need to at least have the 5 string to cover all the tunings without switching guitars every song or so lol !!

10. New York Minute by Don Henley.

11. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Jaco, Alain Caron, Some Primus like Tommy The Cat/Southbound Pachyderm/Wynona's Big Brown Beaver/DMV, Bunny Brunel and CAB, Micheal Manring, also some Béla Fleck And The Flektone's song

12. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    And try some old Brand X with Percy Jones for fun, like "Ghost of the Mayfield Lodge" or "Disco Suicide"

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Don Henley's "Sunset Grill".
    Almost anything from Paul Simon's "Graceland" - especially "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes".

14. dalahorse

dalahorse

Apr 14, 2010
    US-CO-Aurora
    I've always liked "Everytime You Go Away" from Paul Young. That being said, I don't have a fretless bass and don't claim to be able to play the song. Just sayin'!

15. Mama im coming home. By the great Bob Daisley.

16. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    "In My Time of Dying" by Led Zeppelin. Good fretless work by JPJ.

17. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Slowcar To China From the album " Dance ", by Gary Numan [ Mick Karn ] , in fact there is a hole lot of Fretless magic on that album . Also good is his next album " I asassin " which Pino Palladino does his thing , pre Paul Young too ! Those two albums should sort your Fretless chops ..

18. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    And don't forget his version of "I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down", killer fretless on that one.

19. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr

Flad likes this.
  20. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Brother John by Victor Wooten is fun, and not too hard to pick up.