Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretlesss?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I was just wondering if anyone here has ever done a really conventional, top 40 cover tune type gig with a fretless bass and what it was like. Just curious!

Skel

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I've never done it with just a fretless... You mean nothing but, right? I suppose it can be done if you roll on both pickups and go for a punchier less mwah like sound.

3. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    When I pick my fretless, you can't really tell its fretless unless I slide or finger out of tune. :D

4. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I remeber watching a Prince's trust concert in UK back in the 80's, where they got a (UK) star studded house band together who backed up the chart toppers of the day. Phil Collins was on drums, Brian May and Midge Ure on guitars, Howard Jones on Keyboards, a cool brass section and on bass....Mick Karn (from Japan) playing his Wal fretless the whole gig. They backed Rick Astley (don't ask), Black, Peter Gabriel amongst many others, and the bass was great throughout. He did every song in his own (Japan/Mwah) style and even Sledgehammer sounded great.

5. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Yup. Berlin-Take My Breath Away; Duran Duran-Save A Prayer; Dn Henley-Boys of Summer.

Both of these required effects like chorus, flanger and delay--yuck.
    I used my ESP B104. Any fretless will do because these tunes are so heavy on the effects. Luckily I had a good setup and intonation.

Be careful of what you pick to play. Some tunes require a little more *mwah* so it's good to have a setup that gives you versatility. IMHO it doesn't matter what you play with for most Top40 music.

Good luck.

6. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV

Wish I could have seen that.. :(

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Oh dear. The likes of Brian May and Mick Karn should not be made to suffer Rick Astley!

But yes, I have used my fretless for doing a few old cover songs. I used it at a charity gig for an 80's cover band, I think I used it for a Fine Young Cannibals number, a couple of Squeeze songs and thats about it. Songs like 99 Luft Ballons needed that fretted "pop".

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    +1
    I've played fretless, in many styles of music.

9. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    +1 as well. You can play a fretless and hold back on the mwah sound, or do it up when applicable.