Fretsaw,frets and kerf

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by saved, Nov 23, 2019.

1. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    Hi,i am thinking to buy a new fretsaw.
    It is set with spare blades and fretboard templates and will help me very much.
    The problem is,the saw i am using now is 0.4mm and i use it with 0.55mm frets.
    The fretsaw in the package is 0.6mm kerf.
    What kind of fretwire should i use with this one?
    0.7mm so the frets will stay in their place?

2. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Who makes the new saw you are thinking about buying? If it's being sold as a fret saw you could just ask the vendor what they recommend.

In the end it's probably best to try a few common sizes of wire in some slots cut by the saw once you get it. When I got a new fret saw last year I ended up buying 4 or 5 different models and I found that the kerf was often not even close to the advertised number.

3. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    Is a guy who build luthier equipment.
    I have buy a fret press from him and its very good quality.
    https://www.guitarbuilding.solutions/product-page/fretboard-slotting-jig
    I asked him about a scale jig in dimensions details and scale i want,fretsaw and spare blades and they will cost 150£ inclouding shiping.
    I bough my current fretsaw a few months ago 30€ and i have only cut 3 fretboards with it.So its brand new.
    But if you see the jig in the pics,will work only with his fretsaw.
    My point is,since this is a hobby if mine,and i am not getting money from this,i cant spend 2-3000€ for equipmbent.
    I have allready spend all of my savings for router,sander,airbrush etc and i dont wan to give 180€ for something that will not work (especialy if you thing that my salary is 600-700€ per month)
    I mailed the guy what kind of frets are recomending for this saw,but i would like to know what other luthiers use.
    Traditional instrument luthiers here in Greece say that fret wire must be 0.1mm biger than the fretsaw but i dont know if this is an opinion or a must

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Fretwire to fit that slot is available from most suppliers in North America - hopefully it's available near you, maybe just check around with a few different suppliers so you can compare?

5. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    Thanks.What size i am asking for? 0.6 or 0.7?

6. Here in the states, i use a saw with .023 inch blade and wire that is .020 tang and .032 barbs.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021