1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretted Fretless

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Scoops, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Is there such a thing?

GodPlayedBass likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There are basses that are fretted most of the way and fretless the rest of the fingerboard. There are basses that are fretless for some strings and fretted for others. That's about it. Is that what you mean?

arbiterusa and Loring like this.
  3. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Not Really

I'm thinking fretted and fretless for the whole FB

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What exactly does that mean? Do you think your original and follow up questions are vague or precise?

5. Back in the day there was a company that made a neck or maybe even whole basses where the fretboard was held on by magnets and you could switch between fretted and fretless boards. I’ve never seen one in person or a video of one, I only remember the ads in Guitar Player. This was before Bass Player and waaaaaay before YouTube.

There has also been at least one company that made a bass neck with frets the popped up and down by flipping a lever. I don’t recall the name of the company but there’s a better chance of finding a video of one of those.

6. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Kinda.....

I was posing somewhat of a riddle

I'm thinkin something like this

I have this fretted neck, I dam it off pour in epoxy, once the epoxy dries shape the epoxy to be just above the top of the frets.

This is an experiment I've been wanting to do for a while so here goes

20200709_182121.jpg

7. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    I actually played one of those. I think it was a Kramer.

JC Nelson likes this.
  8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Why?

9. That kinda nullifies the lines or no lines argument. :D I’m not entirely sure of the why but I’m interested to see what happens.

Fat Freddy, Andre678 and rtav like this.
  10. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Inquiring minds have a need to know. :thumbsup:

S-Bigbottom, Fat Freddy and jackn1202 like this.
  11. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    It's cleaner than ripping the frets out, especially on a maple board...

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You want to take a fretted fingerboard and cover it with enough epoxy to cover the frets and solidify so the strings are in contact with just a flat layer of epoxy? Again, why? That's not fretted and fretless. That's a ruined fretted.

13. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I don't think you'd have to shim the neck, and I'd expect the bridge to have enough adjustment to handle it (just above fret height is where most action is, I don't think you'd have to raise it much). I do think the nut would possibly need to be raised a bit.

14. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    In reality, it's a cheap neck, and my mind wanders sometimes.

So then....
    Why did Les Paul put a big plank of wood in a perfectly good guitar?
    Why did Mr Tutmarc electrify a Bass
    Why did Edison make the light bulb?
    Why did man become a hunter?

:D

15. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    I'm with Gorn on this one.

Your bass, OP. You do you. But ask yourself this: why don't people do this more often?

Because, you know, people don't do this.

MovinTarget, retslock, bozric and 6 others like this.
  16. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Drugs are bad...mkay.

Frunobulax, bozric, Reiska and 8 others like this.
  17. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Is this idea as innovative as a lightbulb or prehistoric hunting practices? Hell, go for it. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's the best way to turn a fretted into a fretless. What it's definitely not is simultaneously a fretted and a fretless.

18. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    They had a problem to solve and theories backing them up. Do you have either?

Paco Leon, Loring, reddog and 3 others like this.
  19. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Seems to me the only real downside will be the weight from all the extra epoxy. The neck might feel thicker too but some people prefer that anyway.