Fretted Into a fretless. How I did it myself. Enjoy.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fray Arsenio, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Since nobody bought my Gretsch Junior Jet I decided to convert it into a fretless. Check how I did it. I was reluctant to do it myself but It’s not so difficult.

JRA, nonohmic and Matt Liebenau like this.
  2. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Man, good for you! Looks very nice.

I knew from the outset that I’m terrible with woodworking, but even so, I tackled a fret-to-fretless conversation of a very nice old Peavey TL5 that was....was...a wonderful instrument. I should be facing criminal charges for the way I butchered that bass with no practical hope of recovery (other than replacing the fingerboard, but I caused other irreparable issues). No more woodworking on basses or much of anything else for me!

Enjoy your bass!

3. Oh!
    I’m very sorry to hear that. I was lucky because never tried something like this
    before.

4. Looks good Fray. What wood filler did you use?

Fray Arsenio likes this.
  5. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Sound really good!

Fray Arsenio likes this.
  6. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    MonetBass and Geri O like this.
  7. Good info Turnaround - thanks. BTW, what is CA?

Fray Arsenio likes this.
  8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Cyanoacrylate Glue, AKA "Superglue".

Bermuda Ron likes this.
  9. This one, exactly. Epoxy paste for wood repairing. The color uses is oak but I think a darker shade would’ve been better.
    5E098C70-2D5E-4FE1-8A10-C266DA3F1609.jpeg

10. Great tips. Thanks, Turnaround. The one I used is supposed to be epoxy based. At least thats what I asked at the shop for.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021