1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/FT: '91 Modulus Q5 "Walnut & Lane Poor's" Rare!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by swpyne, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    This is a 1991 Modulus Q5 that I originally got from Dave Pickles. It's one of the most beautiful basses I have ever owned with a character unlike any other. I have always thought of it as kind of the "Ferrari" of basses. It's sleek and fast with modern engineering yet it retains the warmth and comfortable feel of a vintage roadster.

The Lane Poor soap bars really correct the sterile tone quality that we often associate with graphite necked basses. They temper that "brittleness" yet retain the clarity and sustain that are the hallmark of graphite. Really a wonderful combination!

The preamp is an Aguilar OBP-3 with vol, blend, mid and stacked bass & treble. It's the perfect compliment to the Lane Poor pickups and brings out all the subtlety and complexity of their phenomenal sound.

The body is two pieces of alder topped with a gorgeous piece of rich brown burled walnut. In addition there is a single stringer of purpleheart (rather rare) that splits and accents the walnut top and body. This is a very stunning bass!

The all graphite neck (no truss rod) is in perfect shape. It was refretted about 4 years ago by Jerry Dorsch (who founded Modulus with Jeff Gould and now runs Graphite Guitar Systems) and the frets show virtually no wear.

There are a few imperfections in the body's finish which are to be expected on a 16 year old instrument however I had the whole body buffed out and that removed almost all of the surface scratches that are the result of being played.

All in all this is a very unique and rare bass that really delivers as far as tone, looks and playability. No issues here, just a great instrument looking for a new home. This bass really deserves to be played but I find myself in projects these days that call for different instruments.

Asking $1,795.00 shipped in the continental US. It will ship in it's original hard shell case and will be fully insured and packed very well.

I will consider any reasonable trade that will net me some cash. Basses I am particularly interested in would be a Lakland Duck Dunn, Jerry Scheff, Joe Osborn or Daryl Jones.

PayPal E-Check, Money Order or Cashiers Check preferred.

Many more photos can be seen here:

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/swpyne/Q5/?action=view&current=100_1097.jpg

100_1097.
    100_1108.
    100_1106.
    100_1102.
    100_1101.

Many more photos can be seen here:

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/swpyne/Q5/?action=view&current=100_1097.jpg

2. Man thats nice!

3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    And your selling her WHY??? If I only had 2k hangin round.........

4. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    You know, like many of us I own more basses than I should. Currently my arsenal numbers 14. These days I'm just not playing much Rock and that's what this bass is really well suited for.

So, like a lot of us here on TB, I'm trying to lower my inventory and generate some cash. These are hard times for everyone and it's not looking like things are going to improve real soon.

I truly love owning this bass, it's just not real practical for me right now!

5. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    man i wish i had the cash for this...

6. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    The previous owner corrected me on the body wood.

It's not Ash, it's Alder, which contributes as well to the bass's "warmth"!

I have edited my original description to reflect this!

Thanks, Dave :hyper:

7. what a beauty!

8. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

What is the weight of the instrument and string spacing at the bridge, please?

9. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    About 9 lbs. with a string spacing at the bridge of 16mm.

10. %#&@! If only I weren't trying to get rid of 3 basses to pay for my Brown Bass, I'd be all over it.

11. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    how's the action? can it get pretty low despite the lack of a truss rod?

12. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    I have always found the action to be very low and fast. Probably the lowest of all my basses. The lack of a truss rod on these early graphite necks doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

13. I dont think the action could get any lower on any bass without buzzing with or without a truss rod{I speak from experience}..Modulus takes the cake on this one

14. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I owned that bass, years ago. I installed the Lane Poor stuff in it (it had a Lane Poor 2x1AC in it, as well). There is not a better Modulus anywhere. The newer ones do not even come close, IMO.

15. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Thanks for the info and the bump Mike! Those Lane Poor's are very sweet indeed. :hyper:

16. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Well it's still here after all the discussions and offers. I'm actually a little surprised because it's not at all easy to find a Q5 with Lane Poor soap bars. There was a time when these were highly sought after. I'm guessing it's a result of the bad economy more than anything else.

I'm still open to trade ideas as well as cash offers. Lakland Skyline basses are at the top of my trade (+ cash) list although I'm open to other ideas as well.

This bass needs to be played. Do yourself a favor and make a deal with me. You won't be sorry. It's really an amazing bass! :cool:

p0k are you still out there?

17. p0k

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    haha, sadly i'm not really out there anymore...although i'd LOVE to buy this bass, i can't. i just used what money i could spare on a pedulla rapture 2000 :)

18. zola07

zola07

Oct 19, 2007
    brisbane australia
    cant believe this bass is still here, bump for you my friend

19. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Thanks for the Bump Kenny........most appreciated.

20. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    On Hold for TFunkadelic! You're gonna love this bass Trevor!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.