1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fulltone Bass Driver Mosfet Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zerstorte Zelle, May 17, 2011.

1. Zerstorte Zelle

Zerstorte Zelle

Jan 8, 2010
    New York
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, D'addario Strings
    Fulltone Bass Driver Mosfet Discontinued? Any info?

ZZ

2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I have no info, but it seems to have fallen out of popularity around here. Loss of low end was the most mentioned complaint.

3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I used to own one... there's better IMO.

4. vivifiction

vivifiction

Jan 22, 2011
    Texas
    as far as I know, they are indeed discontinued. their best use, IMO, is on CompCut, which features a boost (in addition to the boost side) to get a clean-boosted-into-saturation type sound. they're good pedals, but not incredibly diverse.
    if you're looking for one, they pop up in the classified fairly frequently, and they are almost the exact same as the Full-Drive 2, which is still in production

5. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I have read they are discontinued as well. All the large instrument sites show them as discontinued. I own the Mosfet version of this pedal and it's one of my favorite for brash aggressive tones. I have never noticed that much low end loss, contrary to some of the opinions posted here.

6. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    Thats a shame. I like mine.

szaszaT5H likes this.
  7. Barduuk

Barduuk

Dec 29, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    My "Bass Drive MOSFET" is awesome.. I think it's a pretty versatile pedal.. Although i find the MOSFET part of it a bit muddy for my tastes so i mainly run it in Standard.. The CompCut is a great setting..

8. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    There look to be some available through Fulltone's website in the "Factory Seconds" section, though I'm not sure how up to date that info is.

9. Is the Full-Drive 2 similar? How similar?

10. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    There is a hefty midboost, so I think it's more of a perceived loss of lowend than an actual loss. Using it in a clean blender resolves any such problem anyway. I really like mine, but if I didn't use the boost function on it I would probably swap down to something a little smaller, like the BB preamp.

11. It does not seem to be listed in current products on FullTone's site, but some retailers still show it as for sale.

I like mine ok, as mentioned the CompCut setting is pretty useful, but for the size I found a SparkleDrive gets the same thing and has a clean blend built into it.

12. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    It also depends on which generation of Bass Drive pedals.
    To my ears the earlier pedals (non mosfet) had more bass and the later version had indeed a mid boost. Also the earlier ones are warmer and the later pedals are more aggressive sounding. I tend to think that the tone was altered a bit to fit musical trends.

Often when we talked about Fulltone we assume all pedals sound the same but it is not the case. I have noticed some important tonal variations between the different versions of Bass Drive, Fat Boost and OCD pedals as well. some of these pedals have different boards, different components or different component values, all this will influence the tone.

13. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I have the earlier non-Mosfet version and I love it. I'm probably the only person who uses it in Vintage mode and there's a small amount of low end loss, but mainly a big mid boost. Little tip though: if you have a big, dark sounding hollowbody bass, you don't need to worry about low end loss in your pedals very much :bassist: