1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fulltone OCD v4 SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks! What version of the OCD are you using? How is the bottom on your version on your setting? And if you could get a chance to record some clips I would be curious to see what kind of sounds other people are able to get from the OCD. I'm also curious as to how much better the earlier versions were able to hold the bottom, because like I said I have read that the v4 has some mods to make it have less bass.

2. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    I can make a clip, but not right now because I have my pedalboard at the studio and I can´t get ther before thursday or so..

here´s a link to the versions of the ocd:
    http://www.pedalarea.com/ocd.htm

I´d also really like to hear the older versions...

3. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    your bass sounds very guitar-like...hard to judge the pedal..

4. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    mmmm lead bass I like!

5. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    No problem on the clips, if you just get a chance sometime i just think it would be neat to compare. And yeah, those older versions may have been more bass friendly, which intriguies me... too

6. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    In case I hadn't made it abundantly clear with the dozens of samples I've done on this forum, especially those with just the SG Bass's Bridge Pickup but also those with a Jazz Bass too on occasion it is my goal to a achieve that "guitar-like" sound if you will call it through using the pickup selections, playing technique, and pedals I demo. Yeah, it's intentional. But for those not hip to breaking the bounds of the traditional role of the bass guitar I will sometimes do some meaty jazz bass clips, like those found earliear in this thread that might better offer what it is that you'll be looking for.

7. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Glad you dig the style!

8. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok now that I'm not all messed up on prescription drugs, lets try this again. I did a couple more clips, more "bass-like" clips, this time with the SG Bass again for tons of gain, but this time I'm using both pickups, the guitarlike as everyone has seemed to notice bridge pickup AND the neck mudbucker, which I think gives a pretty massive sound. Here's with the OCD cranked and the bass at full volume:

http://media.putfile.com/SGOCDMaxed2Pup

Then I roll back on my Ernie Ball Passive Jr. a little bit which cleans up the OCD a lot for an overdriven tone:

http://media.putfile.com/SGOCDMaxed2PupRolled

So I think I've bled everyone dry for opinions but if anyone has any comments on these two newest clips feel free to share! Thanks.

9. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    Very Bruce like, excelent for power trios... I dig your Bass as well been gasing for one since I saw Cream...

10. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I actually like my SG Bass more than my Jazz Bass. With both pickups the SG sounds a lot fatter to me than the Jazz; rounds out the sound of my band more, and if I turn the neck pickup down I get that guitarish sound from the bridge pickup which is really cool for leads or chordal rhythm parts that need clarity.

11. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    What style is your band

12. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    It's an original band with a classic rock/grunge oriented sound. The Jazz Bass makes an obvious choice for that kind of band, but I still find I like the way the SG fills out the bottom of the mix a little better with it's thick sounding neck pickup. For now we do have 2 guitar players in my band, so most of the time I use the SG Bass with both pickups full blast, which is kind of the opposite sound of what I use in a lot of my soundclips. But the distorted tone fills out the mix better I think, as long as you keep the bottom in with it, and I often get the chance to use my techniques to fill things up when the guitars are doing sparse parts or of soloing or too busy singing to play or whatever.

13. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Do you use a pick in your band or is that just for the clips?

14. electricimprov

electricimprov

Mar 15, 2008
    So Cal
    True dat!

Mark, have you tried stacking one pedal into the other?

e.g. OCD > BoR (with only boost engaged), or the reverse.

Especially for lead tones, I find this to be most beneficial, rather than relying on one pedal to do it all. Let me know what you think.

15. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I do use a pick in my band, more and more so as I get better with a pick, but the truth is that I'm not a very proficient pick player, so there are still some difficult songs where I revert to the old fingerstyle playing. But with most dirtboxes I prefer the response I get out of them with pick playing, and since I'm using a dirty sound 99% of the time in this band, I try to use a pick for everything I can pull off with it.

But on the other side of that I do do occasional other side gigs doing things like acoustic shows or reggae or whatnot, for which I'll mostly use a clean sound and will then mostly use fingerstyle playing. So I guess you could say the technique I'll use is governed by the results I want to achieve and what I feel will best fit the music that I'm playing.

16. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I do stack certain pedals. For awhile there I was using my Analogman Bass Beano Boost into the Box of Rock with the Box of Rock set at my moderately overdriven "rhythm" setting and kicking on the Treble Booster in front of it gives a much more distorted and sustaining lead tone. That's a really good combo I think. But of other pedals, like the OCD or when I was using an Analogman Sun Face for leads, I prefer them alone because with the Box of Rock set at a moderate gain setting it does tend to cut the highs of other fuzzes/overdrives in front of it. More recently I was using the Box of Rock for more of a light overdrive sound, and when I stack the OCD for example with it it didn't seem to cut the treble as much at that setting, and I could definitely get away with stacking the OCD and Box of Rock at those settings, but I really like the OCD by itself and I feel where I set it, with the drive at max, it provides enough distortion for me on it's own for the lead tones I like. So I guess you could say I was keeping the Box of Rock and OCD on my board, the Box of Rock for the "rhythm" sound, the OCD for the "leads".

17. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
  18. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Fixed the links...

19. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    The clips with the OC-2 and the OCD sound great!

I haven't been able to hear the other clips though. The links take me to ebaumsworld for some reason!

20. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    All those links are dead and the files are lost. I could borrow my brother's OCD and do more clips, but I don't really want to... I'm strictly a fuzz pedal guy with overdrive and distortion coming from my amps now. Gives me what the OCD didn't, more character; the OCD doesn't have so much character of it's own, but with a growly bass it can definitely enhance that growl.