FUNK anyone?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Well I am new to bass and to music in general. I really dig classic rock and grunge. I also have a love for funk. I am new to funk and I am wondering who to check out. Sly and the family stone I already know. Besides that not much. who are some good funk bassists/bands?
  2. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    The Ohio Players baby!!!
  3. Who are they?
  4. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    *gasp* Blasphemy!!! ... Ever hear "Rollacoasta!!! of looooove.. rollacoasta... ooo ooo ooo" ?

Or "Fire" The Funkiest song ever!
  5. I feel so noobish... is that the name of the band?
  6. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Get Betty Davis' first album ("Betty Davis" 1972), it has Larry Graham and Greg Errico as a rhythm section (one track has Doug Rauch playing bass, he is no slouch either) and great funk-rock songs by Betty.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Since you seem to be a complete Newbie, I suggest you get some greatest hits collections so you can get an idea of the variety of music that comes under the heading, "funk." Just like King Crimson sounds nothing like the Ramones, Earth Wind and Fire is miles away from the Fatback band.

If you have satellite radio or live in area with enough Black people, look for an oldies station that would play music from the funk era. You could also do that via web radio.
  8. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well some of my favorite funk bands are as follows...

For the more classic sort of Funk in my mind (opinions may vary on if these guys classify as funk, but they all have funky songs in their repetior):

Earth, Wind & Fire
    Herbie Hancock and The Headhunters
    James Brown
    Kool & The Gang
    Stanley Clarke
    Stevie Wonder
    The Meters/The Funky Meters
    Curtis Mayfield

Some more modern Funk/Groove

Medeski, Martin & Wood
    Alan Evans
    Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals (Fight For Your Mind)
    Garaj a Trois
    Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey (Not all of it, but some)
    John Scofield (A Go Go in particular)
    Les Claypools Flying Frog Brigade
    Marcus Miller (I know is older cat, but his newer albums are more funky IMO)
    Me'Shell NdegeOcello
    Brotherhood of Groove
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Roy Hargrove - Hard Groove
    T.M. Stevens
    Victor Wooten
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    James Brown invented funk.
  10. 7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Average White Band
    (some) Commodores
    (some) Isley Brothers
    Graham Central Station

Edit: OMG, how could I forget C A M E O still funkin Atlanta.
  11. Tastyfreise

Jan 12, 2006
    Tahlequah, OK
    If like soulive you will also love lettuce. Lettuce is most of the same guys with a different drummer and a real bass player.

Also I love Jamiroquai. I love Stuart Zenders stuff, Nick Fife is also very good, and the newest bassist Can't remember his name is no slouch either.
  12. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

I will 2nd Lettuce. Aaron Bellamy is that "real bass player" btw. However I think Neal holds down the lowend just fine as well ;)
  13. One shouldn't leave Galactic off that list.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    OMG....there must 2 dozen separate threads on TB that deal with funk...bands, songs, styles, who invented slap, best bass for funk, best strings for funk, yada, yada, yada.

You have a good start right here T-bird 91, but do a search for funk...and be prepared for a looooong list of FANTASTIC information.

"Search" is your friend.........
  15. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    can't forget these guys

george clinton
    bootsy collins
    the brothers johnson
    tower of power
    dazz band
    the gap band
  16. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    One person whom is rarely mentioned is Roy Ayers.

I highly recommend purchasing Roy Ayers - Evolution:The Polydor Anthology. It a very good, two CD collection of some of his best work. The bass lines are tight and funk, but easy enough for a beginner to learn.

Check out the sound clips for "Everybody Loves the Sunshine", "Searching", "Gotta Find A Lover", "Freaky Deaky", "Can't You See Me", "Turn Me Loose" and "Running Away". That's some serious funk!

17. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    u shouldnt look at ur self as a noob when it comes to music and playing an instrument, a noob is what pro gamers call someone who is new to the game lol

theres alot of good recomendations from everyone here
    but Also check out:
    The brothers Johnson
    Tower Of power
    The Meters
    isle brothers
  18. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wanna be inspired?..

AWB's "Schoolboy Crush"!