1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Future Impact now available!! WAS: deep impact reissue!!! interested?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lokki, Nov 15, 2014.

1. kerryg

kerryg Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Vancouver BC, Canada
    I don’t know this for sure. But my understanding is that there are actually two types of potential power supply through MIDI connectors.

I don’t know the technical details but one is “just the way it is” and is baked in according to the MIDI spec; the other is what I believe is known as “MIDI phantom power” which uses the two unused pins of the midi cable.

In short, if this were the case, one would be present in nearly all properly designed devices, while the other is for higher power needs and would need to be specifically planned for and implemented.

I am guessing if this is the case, that barring some specific implementation issue the FI would most likely have the first and probably not have the second.

Back in the day - I’m thinking late 80s and 90s - we used to use large-matchbox-sized Midi processor boxes to add functionality to our chains - midi thrus, midi rechannelizers, midi CC converters, midi breath control receivers. You would plug them in-line after your keyboard. While I suppose some of them could have been passive, I know for a fact that none of them had batteries but some of them had power LEDs. And they didn’t work with some older keyboards, and we were told that’s because they didn’t supply power.

What I can’t seem to get a clear answer to is - if these two specs exist, one common and ubiquitous and one specific and pre-planned, which one does the WIDImaster use? And unfortunately there’s such a cloud of vagueness that it looks likely the only solution is to buy one and plug it in and see if it works.

2. If it's "phantom power" on pin 1 and 3, i.e. the outhermost pins you are talking about ???
    If there is then I bring bad news.
    I just checked with a multimeter and there's nothing there. 0 volt.
    Bummer indeed.

3. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I have a bunch of MIDI devices, some that provide power and some that don't. Every device that I know provides power (to MIDI Solutions boxes) that I've tried with the WIDI Master has worked. So that's about all I can say.

4. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    I’ve published a few new patches.

cosmicevan likes this.
  5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

been sifting through them. Got a bunch that I plan to integrate into my sound arsenal. I’ll share my favs once I finish going through them. I really need to figure out the editor.

Quatschmacher likes this.
  6. Andras Szalay

Andras Szalay Commercial User

Jul 9, 2015
    I am the owner of Panda-Audio
    Hi all,
    We would like to ask for your help!
    Last week on 16th of November we sent a package of 20 Future Impact V3 to a distribution company in the USA by a major international carrier. When the delivery arrived there were only 4 units in the box. Of course we do not know if it was stolen still in Hungary, anywhere on the way in Europe, or in the US. We ask all of you, if you see anywhere on the net suspicious ad for selling FI V3 units please let us know about it, send a report at pandamidi.com/contact
    The serial numbers of the stolen units are:
    3303, 3304, 3305, 3306, 3308, 3309, 3311, 3312, 3315, 3316, 3317, 3403, 3404, 3405, 3406, 3407
    Any ad on ebay, craiglist, reverb.com, etc. posted after Nov. 16 can be suspicious (unless it's by Tech 21). Thank you very much for your efforts
    Andras Szalay

cosmicevan and DELACIUS like this.
  7. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    That’s terrible news. I’ll share on the basschat website.

maisbass and Highroler79 like this.
  8. Andras Szalay

Andras Szalay Commercial User

Jul 9, 2015
    I am the owner of Panda-Audio
    Thank you Peter, that is a good idea!
    Andras Szalay

Highroler79 likes this.
  9. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    Done. I’ll also post on the Facebook group.

maisbass and Highroler79 like this.
  10. custombass

custombass Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    bass purpose
    any one know why the Future Impact 3 start at patch 44 every time it turned on?

11. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    Yes, that was the last patch you edited and saved (either deliberately or accidentally) by clicking the edit dial. Check the FAQs in the manual. DFA25554-35DD-41DA-B0C5-69AAE7335DE7.jpeg

cosmicevan likes this.
  12. custombass

Dec 20, 2015
    bass purpose
    how do I get rid of it? I even tried to have patch 01 before turn off the FI3, then turn on again. The patch 44 is there to begin with.

13. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    Read the screenshot in my previous post above. (The bit that begins “how do I choose which sound...”).

14. custombass

Dec 20, 2015
    bass purpose
    thanks.

15. Charlie Tuna

Charlie Tuna

Feb 21, 2005
    Key West, FL
    Andras, this is highly upsetting. Does the tracking list the countries/cities the shipment passed through. May be worthwhile to post to the major forums in those countries.

16. maisbass

maisbass Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 5, 2010
    NYC
    Ugh. So sorry @Andras Szalay . That is awful. I will spread the word and will look through my local craigslist as well.

17. I'm very sorry to hear this as well @Andras Szalay, it lowers my faith in humanity yet another step. I don't do much purchasing in the used market, but I'll still keep an eye out as much as I can.

5sg.

18. custombass

Dec 20, 2015
    bass purpose
    I have a problem with double notes sound from the FIv3. It produced a note sound as soon as I press the string on the fret and another note sound when I pluck the string. It make double notes sound. Any one had this problem? Is there a way to make adjustment to avoid this problem?

19. Quatschmacher

Quatschmacher

May 16, 2007
    Adjust the note on level to be higher. Also check the input gain.

20. custombass

Dec 20, 2015
    bass purpose
    what do you mean by "adjust the note on level to be higher"?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021