Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Dec 24, 2003.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Me and my mate were over my house on monday. We were running his guitar thru my amp which joined with my bass, then i had a line out going to the computer. When we were recording it sounded all fuzzy as if it was overloading, so we just plugged his guitar straight in to the mic socket. It still sounded fuzzy.
    Can anyone one tell me why it sounds so fuzzy. Is it my sound card. I don't think it is that good becuase it is a laptop.
  2. The output of the amp needs to be turned down, it's over loading.

You might be better off using a DI box to send your signal to your PC.

It can be very frustarating when you first start learning sound chain theory. Keep up the good work though, you'll get it!
  3. pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Treena's right. It is overloading.

Another way to help correct this if you are using the computer's built in "sound recorder" and not using recording software is to go to the computer's volume control and lower the input slider on the line in.
    You can get to it by:

Start > Accessories > Entertainment > Volume Control

"Aftermarket" soundcards and recording software have better control and usually have "control panels" built into their software for adjusting the input signal.

A combination of Treena's suggestion and adjusting the computer's input should get you a little better results.

Hope this helps.