1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Will do. It's an outdoor gig with my big band. We're playing in a covered band stand. I usually just bring a single 210. I'm wondering if I need another 210 for dispersement. I don't play outdoors much.

2. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    Two lb-100s with different woods! That is an invitation to a tone wood debate. I’ll start: Wood matters, and not just to my wife. But seriously, how different do they actually sound alone and in a mix?

pjbassist likes this.
  3. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I would have said before the purchase there would be no difference. Now that I own them, the burst with Brazilian cherry is warmer sounding when playing back to back comparison. I can hear a difference. They both sound wonderful.

GroovyBaby likes this.
  4. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Same strings on both?

5. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Different wood or just different finishes? The G&L website is mute on the wood used in the Tribute LB-100s. Per @Gravedigger Dav, same strings, pickup heights, action, etc.? It all makes a difference...

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    “Same woods etc”

I played 3 different ash/maple sadowsky PJ5’s with the same strings on them. They all sounded different and I had a strong preference for one of the three.

AGH, pjbassist, /\/\3phist0 and 2 others like this.
  7. grouse789

grouse789 Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
  8. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    I has ash and alder carvings with the same pickups that sounded drastically different. I always assumed it was the wood but I haven’t played identical basses back to back to see how different they might be. I’ll have to try that.

9. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Question for the SB-2 people - are your pole pieces roughly flush with the pickup cover? I bought a used one that had the poles raised way up under the D and G strings, and those strings sounded weird. I adjusted them and it sounds better, but I was just curious.

This is probably a repost for a bunch of yous, but I think that's ok for a NBD. :D
    C47F97F7-C3DE-462D-AD9C-FB09640359A3.jpeg.

R&B, Ellery, AGH and 7 others like this.
  10. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Mine's a Tribute, but I just checked and the polepieces are all flush with their metal surrounds. I've never had any reason to fiddle with them. Very even response string-to-string from both pickups.

metron likes this.
  11. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    If you mean a big jazz band, I played a couple of outdoor gigs this summer with mine and just used one Fearless F112 driven by an Acoustic Image head. In one case we were "live off the porch and the lawn" at an estate museum site with no sound support. In the second case, we were on a small stage in (get this) a toll plaza. It was the annual Halifax Bridge Walk where they close one of the bridges so people can walk across the harbour and there's a civic festival: two marching Dixieland bands on the bridge proper and us in the toll plaza. Anyway, I digress. I used the same rig but this time the band had sound support and the sound guy took a line out of my amp. In either situation a 210 would have been just fine.

Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 2.20.43 PM.

AGH and metron like this.
  12. svtbass

svtbass Supporting Member

pjbassist likes this.
  13. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
  14. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Because “Hurricane Katrina was just marvellous other than drowning this bass” wouldn’t fit. :smug:

15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
  16. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

What an excellent top!

17. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Thank you for the reply. Since we primarily play indoors and in rooms with decent acoustics, we don't mic any of the sections. Only the singer and piano go through the PA. Unfortunately, I don't think that will change for Saturday. :meh: So the horns will likely get lost into the void of the space around them. PA is run by our band "manager."

I'll just be bringing one of my 210 cabs.

18. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    The last time I said that to someone...seriously though, that’s some gorgeous wood.

Luigir and bonin in the boneyard like this.
  19. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    The pole pieces are virtually flush with both pickup cover on my SB-2.

metron likes this.
  20. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If the fret wear isn’t that bad and it’s fully functional, that’s not without its appeal