1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L Club Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Dec 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Band Mom

Band Mom Not Actually a Mom Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Interesting! That does sort of sound similar to what I'm hearing. Strange that it doesn't do it on my other amps if it's the bass pickup, but then I find that the Ampeg is inherently brighter sounding than my other two amps(Orange Terror Bass and Fender Rumble). It's worth a shot! I'd sooner replace the Ampeg than ever get rid of my L2K. Soooo pretty.

2. svtbass

svtbass Supporting Member

Is it all notes around the 7th fret or just on the E? MFB buckers can put out a lot of bass. Have you tried isolating the tube head from the cab? Also check that all the tubes are well-seated. I'd venture one of the tubes is possibly suspect and hitting the right frequency sets it off.

And also a second vote on "spring ping". I'd pull the pup and look if there is any foam left.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 11:53 AM
    Band Mom likes this.
  3. mtsens1

mtsens1 Merle Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    GroovyBaby, tubatodd and jmlee like this.
  4. Band Mom

Band Mom Not Actually a Mom Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I'll definitely take you up on that advice. That said, it doesn't strike me as an amp issue necessarily simply because I can't reproduce it with any of my other basses (SB-1,JB-2, and SG bass). Really strange. The good news is that I don't typically hear the noise in the mix, but there are a few "drums and bass only" parts in some of our songs, and it's definitely noticeable at those points.

I know I just need to spend some more time with the bass and amp together to see if it all comes down to EQ. I know the MFDs are pretty aggressive, especially in humbucker format, but I haven't even really tried many of the other L2K switches.

Looks like I'm going to head in to practice early this weekend :)

-Mike

5. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    There were maybe 6 or 7 through @RocketMusic , maybe 5 through Bass Central FB_IMG_1520614438552. FB_IMG_1520614438552.

dave64o, dagrev, Tbone76 and 8 others like this.
  6. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    There’s a Fullerton red w/ maple and a transparent red w/ rosewood that I’ve seen pop up occasionally that really fuels my GAS. And this one, too. But I’m not much of a 5-string guy, so I don’t beat myself up for not tracking one down by now.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you’re not a 5 string guy, you could get a new CLF reissue 4 string

AGH and Kriegs like this.
  8. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Great idea, but I’ve got a 4-string Wunkay already, so I’m good there.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Then you’re good!
    No reason to pursue a 5 string if you don’t want one ;-)

You could always order a 2500 with K switching, and not use the bridge pickup.

AGH, TDR1138 and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  10. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    You'd need to add the OMG cap to the middle switch to get all of the L1005 tones.

audreycashin likes this.
  11. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Gold Supporting Member

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Hey guys. I am looking into trading for a G&L bass (or two). If anybody is interested in trades, I have a couple of Warwick basses and a Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5 to trade. There are a lot of G&L basses in the Classifieds but nobody interested in trading.
    I played a G&L Tribute bass, and loved it, and am looking to get on the G&L train so to speak lol..... if anybody is interested hit me up. I can't wait to get one of the American made ones, that is for sure!!!!Thanks and God Bless!!!!

12. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I'm still getting used to my M-2000 and trying strings. I did open the the vol all the way and that brought out some presence. This far I think the DR Sunbeams might sound the best, Roto nickles not too bad. I tried EB Cobalts Wed but it was just OK. Sounded decent, but no real Wow factor. I think I'll try some Roto flats I have to maybe thicken up the sound a little.

I'm kind of amazed at how that bass makes most strings sound pretty much the same. Generally you change strings and you can tell something changes. Sounds like I'm ragging on the bass, but I'm not intending to do so. It does play great and does sound good. It just needs a little something I can't put my finger on yet. For what I paid for it I'm happy. I would love to drop some L-2k PUs in for kicks!

13. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Played these at the Shelby Ironworks Fall festival today. Loved it!

IMG_20181013_145953.

AGH, dagrev, fishstix and 2 others like this.
  14. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I figured out what the random pop was on my LB100. The pickups wiggle a bit. The sound was them wiggling if I play right over the pickups

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  15. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Oh, don't do that. The pickups and pre are matched in that instrument.

16. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    So how did you find the combination of those two weapons on the gig. (That's my pairing as well!)

17. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    They did great. They nature of my band is I need a good clean warm sound all the time. Both instruments provide that. The L2500 has more edge by default, even in passive mode which I use 100% of the time. The LB100 was significantly lighter to hold. Tone wise, the LB100 seemed to provide more bottom end in the outdoor situation. Of course the L2500 gave me the extended range I wanted for some of our tunes in Eb and D.

jmlee likes this.
  18. tubatodd

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Oh and you were right. A single 210 was sufficient. I could feel the floor of the the band stand vibrate as I'm playing even with the cab elevated.

jmlee likes this.
  19. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Love the red L2500! I have a redburst with ivory binding and it has to be the best looking bass I've owned.

20. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Yeah, Ken advised against that as well. I really want to appreciate the bass for what it is, and let it do what it does well. I didn't play it today and kind of missed it.

I was kind of thinking out loud, because I always wanted G&L to have that electronics setup in the L series. Always thought that would make an even more awesome L2k. If I could make an L2k that's what I would have done--only with switchable mids on the pre. Lakland (and a few others) got that part right.