Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L Intonation Problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Oct 1, 2003.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I've got a L-2000 that I can't get the intonation right on the A and E strings. I need to lengthen both of these strings but the *&(# screws are too short in the bridge saddles! What makes no sense is that the E and A strings should end up being shorter than the G and D (usually this is the other way around).

Do you think G&L makes longer bridge saddle screws? Where would I get them? Thanks!

2. Sounds like the neck might need some tweaking.

G&L does make longer screws for their bridges and you can purchase them at any parts shop.

Parts Shop online

SET UP MANUAL

Good Luck. ;) Treena

3. There's a problem here. Longer screws should not be needed to do the job. Having the scale length of the E and A strings shorter than the other two means one of two things. First, the strings are bad. Even if they're new, it's possible they're bad. Also, some strings just wont work with some basses, I've had this problem in the past. Second, operator error. By this I mean, either you or your tuner are searching in the wrong area for the correct pitch. I assume you are well versed in the art of intonation, so this only really leaves the first option.

4. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    How close are your pickups to the strings? Could be string pull...

5. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I had the same problem using TI Flats on my L2K. When I changed to a different brand of strings, the saddles moved back. Treena hit it on the head, check your relief (G&L suggests .018 to .022), adjust string height, then try to set intonation. If the screws are still to short try a different brand of strings.

George

6. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions! I don't think it's the strings. I just replaced the strings with TI Powerbass; the previous set was GHS Brite Flats-same problem. Maybe I'll try setting the pickups lower; this bass sure has plenty of output anyway!