1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G string not bassy enough...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bondtana, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Bondtana

Bondtana

May 9, 2008
    The G string on my p-bass isn't bassy enough for me. Compared to the D, there is a big drop off in bassiness. I've tried adjusting the pup, to no avail. Is there anything I could do to fix this?

Could me not playing it that much be the reason? The strings are relatively new.

:bassist:

PS I've never gotten a pro setup (I've done it on my own and I am newbish).

2. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    The G is a much thinner string...its going to have more 'twang' than any of the other strings. If youre looking for a bassier tone, why don't you try playing more on the lower strings and using the G string for fills, solos etc.

3. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Write it down: Reverse PJ

4. when you need the notes you play on the G to be more bassy, then lay off the G altogether: Walk up the A or D strings to your notes. There's your 'bassy". Your G simply doesn't have the mass to get those frequencies.

5. Bondtana

Bondtana

May 9, 2008
    Hmmm, I know you cant get as much bass from the g as the others. When I listen to some other tracks and it sounds like the player is on the g string, it seems much bassier to me.

And thanks for the advice, i've been avoiding the g string. But its getting jealous lol.

6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I've had the same issue with some of the Ps I've played. It's true that on any bass the G string is going to provide you with less bottom-end than the other strings, but this is noticeable on some basses more than on others. The P is a very "boomy" sounding bass when you play on the E and A strings. The G (and to a lesser extent the D) are, by comparison, tame sounding. I find the Jazz to be much better balanced from string to string (though I don't find the active Deluxe models to be as well balanced as the passive ones). I'd recommend trying out some Jazz basses to see if you notice any differences in string-to-string consistency and go from there.

7. What bass are you using? I notice that the 'weak G tendancy' varies greatly from bass to bass.
    The best basses sound phat all over. I haven't found that bass yet, but I think others have.

Of course, it depends on your amp, etc. setup too, but the bass is the first place to start.
    New strings can help, but not always.

8. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    a good I dea for you is too mix and match. By heavy strings and use the g, then buy light strings and use the other strings. :)

9. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    If you don't to go the Reverse PJ route raise your G string just a little...

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Try backing off the bass EQ overall,,,,you'll loose a bit of fullness on the E and A but you'll be more even. you might be pleasently supprised how bassy this sounds 30 feet from your amp

Try Ground wounds or better yet flats.

Resist the urge to hit the G harder to try and overcompensate you could be over playing the string.

Aj

11. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    play near the neck in the G string, also roll a bit of the tone so it less trebly

12. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    There are a couple of simple things you can do.
    1.) You can lower the G string with the bridge saddle
    2.) Raise the pickup up
    3.) Change strings. Some string sets do have weak G strings. I know Labella and Pyramid Gold flats have fatter sounding G strings.
    Hope this helps.

13. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    I know what you mean!
    On my 6 string, the C string isn't as bassy as the B strong and it feels different too and if I play a song on the C string that I learned on the B string, it's out of tune.

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I prefer string sets with a 050 G rather than 045. I find it makes a difference.

15. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

+1, it does.

Aj

16. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I agree with the recommendation to play the G string closer to the neck. This is what I do.

17. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I've found though that when playing by myself the G string does seem to lack a real bassy thump that I wish I had but once I'm playing with a band and it still feels like I'm pretty thumpy and low even when I'm on there and on recordings I can feel and hear the thumpiness of it just fine.

18. Bondtana

Bondtana

May 9, 2008
    Thanks again for the tips.

For the record, I have La Bella Deep Talkin flats on my p bass.

I was considering this. Originally I bought the Jamerson model of the La Bella and they were too damn big for me to mess with. I got the next gauge down. I'm gonna swap the g strings and see what happens...