Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gallery Strings machines

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Brent Norton, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Adrian's classified ad led me to Gallery Strings' site, where I perused the various bass machines they offer. My question is, has anyone used a set of their machines where the cog (peg) is held in place by the worm gear against the bevelled cog? How well do they function -- is there aditional play or instability as compared to "fixed-cog" machines?

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Yes, I put them on a bass I made 3 years ago. They work well. Not the smoothest ever, but they make it up in looks. It's really important to get the locator bars on perfectly straight, or they bind. All in all, good quality and value.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I completely agree. If you have them installed loosely they will bind. They must be quite precise. Wonderful machines otherwise. I just don't have any use for the gears I bought. I don't want to change the sound of my bass.

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Thanks for the input, guys. :)

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've used the "Cole" and the "Tarr" model on my basses. The Tarr was a little tricky to put in; you might need to get a "straight reamer" to lightly enlarge the +5/8" hole. The Cole didn't have this problem; they went in just fine... They are pretty, but they do a creak a little. I wish they could come up with a set that had the worm gear/planetary gear already mated. Oh well...

6. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
  7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
  8. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    The Lemur hatpeg ones look the same as the Upton hatpeg ones.

I'll find out what the cremonasia ones cost. Look Ok, but can't tell how well they are made ...