Gallien Krueger Legacy connection noob question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ryn, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Ryn

Ryn

Dec 17, 2018
    Australia
    Hi guys...

After some years of playing crappy secondhand combos, I've gotten more serious and invested in my dream rig... a Gallien Krueger Legacy 800 and a GR Bass AT212 (weight's a big concern for me because of an injury)... Phew, exciting! The latter was so niche I had to source it from a different shop, but I perhaps-foolishly assumed that in general, an amp was an amp and a cab was a cab, and that the two would play nice together. I live in the middle of nowhere, so getting to music shops in person is pretty much out of the question for me, and I get all my gear online.

The only problem is, it seems like this head won't accept a standard speakon lead as the cab does, only an NL2(?) (which I don't have)...

This is a huge investment for me, and it would suck if I have to return/sell anything :(

Have I stuffed up and brought myself a totally incompatible rig? Or with an NL2 lead (is that even a thing?) be fine to use with a non-GK cab? Or, is there a different lead I should get? Or am I just not being persuasive enough with trying to connect the speakon to this head? Again, I'm new to modular setups like this and could use some advice. Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There shouldn't be much (if any) difference in the connectors. NL2 is two conductor, while NL4 is 4 conductor ("conductor" means the same thing as "wire").

You should be able to use either one. There is the potential for an NL4 to be wired "wrong". But that would be rare.

What kind of cable do you have?

MCF and DJ Bebop like this.
  3. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Screenshot_20220705-091615_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20220705-091912_DuckDuckGo.jpg

The top image is the GK head. The bottom image is the GR cab. The jacks appear to be the same. If you use an NL4 connector cable, simply put, two of the wires won't be doing anything. Two will be carrying the load and operating just fine.

.....unless I'm missing something?

MCF and DJ Bebop like this.
  4. Ryn

Ryn

Dec 17, 2018
    Australia
    That's good news...! Thank you for this info...

The lead I have was sold simply as a speakon... specifically, this one. I was so hung up on researching wattages and impedance I didn't even realise there were different sorts of leads! :D
    A friend with bass stuff of his own came over and we tried his seemingly-identical leads too, which didn't seem to fit the amp either... for whatever that is worth in this diagnosis :confused:

Though from what your saying, it sound like this is a a me problem rather than a mechanical one, haha

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So the one you have doesn't fit?

6. Ryn

Ryn

Dec 17, 2018
    Australia
    (whoops sorry about the double post -- slow internet)
    yeah... :( it doesn't seem to. I can connect the speaker just fine but getting the lead into the amp seems to require a different technique if indeed it should be able to take this connector...

7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There are lots of "knockoff" Speakon connectors out there. I'm wondering if that is part of what you're dealing with.

The manual for the head says simply "standard two conductor speakon cable".

Element Zero and DJ Bebop like this.
  8. Ryn

Ryn

Dec 17, 2018
    Australia
    Hm! I must be doing something wrong then, since my friend and I tried his tried-and-true leads as well.

Here's a pic if it helps:
    [​IMG]

9. Ryn

Ryn

Dec 17, 2018
    Australia
    Omg... This is really showing my noob-ness, but am I to twist the connector as it's inserted? I haven't applied much force as I'm a bit scared to break anything... but looking at it it seems like that's how it works (the lead *fits*, but it only gets in a little way since the cores are misaligned). Is that the knack to it?

JettBlaq and Killing Floor like this.
  10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Weird. They look like standard speakon connectors. And there doesn't appear to be anything special about the jacks.

I hate to bug him, but maybe @agedhorse has some thoughts? I don't want to send you down the wrong road. Are they Neutrik brand connectors on your cable?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  11. Ryn

Ryn

Dec 17, 2018
    Australia
    Not Neutrik branded, no. The connectors themselves are emblazoned with "REAN", and the the cable with "Swamp Industries", if that means anything!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. Ryn

Ryn

Dec 17, 2018
    Australia
    close up of the connector guts... at least, as good a photo as I can get of them (maybe I should invest in a new phone sometime instead of more bass stuff... :D)
    [​IMG]

13. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    If I remember correctly, you need the NL-2 connector for your GK amp. They switched from NL-4 with this new generation of amps. DO use Speakon branded connectors for best results, knockoffs can get stuck requiring a visit to your tech.

Murch, mcnach, Haroldo and 4 others like this.
  14. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Speakon connectors are a :twist to lock" connector. This is likely user error if you aren't turning them and hearing a click.

However I think maybe don't try again without a cable that has Neutrik ends.

mcnach, MCF, DJ Bebop and 2 others like this.
  15. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Oh yes... AND what @wave rider posted....

An NL-2 male will work in an NL-4 female. An NL-2 female WONT accept an NL-4 male. You do need an NL-2. It will still work fine with your NL-4 cab.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    Fred312b, lizardking837, TomB and 4 others like this.
  16. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Hey, I went through the same thing with my Legacy 500. I (my fault for not researching better) assumed it would be either a normal speakon or also accept 1/4". I had to get the latest speakon connector, and actually a super great guy here on TB helped me out big time with one, but I did order this too from amazon which let me use one of my normal speaker cables that i already had:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FC4YVOK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ryn, scott sinner and Joebone like this.
  17. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    NL4 will "not" plug into an NL2 connection.

NL2 "will" plug into an NL4 connection.

Fred312b, BlueTalon, TomB and 7 others like this.
  18. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Looky there. I learned something today. I didn't realize that.

19. Ryn

Ryn

Dec 17, 2018
    Australia
    Noted, I'll source an onbrand NL2 and give that a proper try ;)
    This cable wasn't even cheap, but it could just be an NL4, not the one I need. Same might be true for my friend's cables, which I know work fine.

It's good to know the cab and amp will be okay together once I do figure out how to get them plugged into each other :D

Thanks guys!

Riff Ranger, DJ Bebop and JettBlaq like this.
  20. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I still don’t get why GK did all their new stuff in NL2.