1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gallien Krueger need opinion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ted schardt, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ted schardt

ted schardt

Apr 2, 2018
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 1001rb with a 4x12 GK cab for extremely cheap it is in almost new condition ...i am new to GK stuff so any opinions from you pros out there, I'm somewhat of a beginner i do know about the head but not sure about the 12s for bass anyone use 12s ? ....thanks

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Turbo Sparky likes this.
  2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Killer rig. Better than 9/10's of the rigs around here. If you don't mind the big cab, get it.

3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    What are you waiting for? Do it.

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    RB1001 is a serious pro-level amp! Always best to try before you buy to make sure you like the amps unique voicing...many do. The 412 cab is pretty rare...you sure it's not a 410? GK has made several 410s and not all of them are great. The 410RBH was designed to work with the RB series amp's biamp capability. It is a great sounding and robust cab, but extremely heavy at 96lbs.

alaskaleftybass and BrentSimons like this.
  5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I had that very rig a long time ago.

Just make sure your place has a strong foundation. No cracks. That rig will cause some earth shaking.

6. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    An excellent rig but likely overkill for most situations. As long as you have the room and don't mind the weight I say go for it. The RB series are all great and GK's 12" speaker based cabs are all pretty great. never heard the 4X12 but can't imaging it being anything other than great.

7. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    That rig will ROCK!

scuzzy, wave rider and BrentSimons like this.
  8. Hard to beat rig.

wave rider and BrentSimons like this.
  9. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Two very awesome and very “heavy” pieces of equipment.

Will they sound good?

Oh hale yes!

I used to have a 1001 rbii. My fingers went numb if I had to carry it to far. So rack mounting is suggested.

But that 412 cab GK makes is basically an SVT style cab. It does sound better than any SVT but it’s a a fridge.

I prefer 410 cabs and an MBF-800 now. Sounds better than what your looking at and I can just use one 410 for small situations and both of them for big ones.

That 412 will be to much for a lot of situations. Small bars will be out of the question.

Oh you could use it but dayum.

You’ll never turn up past one.

Ekulati likes this.
  10. Gallien-Krueger is one of the most respected and popular brands in BassWorld. But as with any equipment purchase, your experience and opinion may vary from others. Best to try it out for yourself to discover if it is the right rig for you.

Haroldo, wave rider and Wasnex like this.
  11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I played through a backlined GK 4x12 Neo once. It was a beast of a cab.

12. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Real deal rig, I hope you have bought it already.

I have only good things to say about my 1001ii and have only read good things about the 4x12.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Carrying the 1001 by those little handles would hurt, carrying it in a padded over-the-shoulder bag is much better.

joel406 likes this.
  14. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Lucky you!

15. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    As said above.

Killer rig.

GK has a unique and awesome tone.

16. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Congrats, you will own one of my dream rigs...:crying:

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    I toured with a 100RB-II with 410RBH and 115RBH cabs. Nice sounding rig. I went back to Ampeg because I wanted the classic tube sound but if I was going to use something else, it would be GK. If the price is low enough, buy it!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 6:52 AM
    alaskaleftybass likes this.
  18. Those 412 cabs are very good and the head is classic GK. If you don’t jump on it someone is gonna get it from under you. I would suggest comparing prices online to be sure you are getting a good used price. Only look at the new price as what it is worth new.

19. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I have 2 GK heads, an 89 400rb, and a 98 400rb. They are amazing heads and very powerful. The 700rb and 1001rb have more power than you'll need.

clayfiske likes this.
  20. Also.... not sure about the 1001 rb but the rbii is like 22 pounds. That’s pretty dang light in my opinion and if it’s the 412 I’m thinking it is it’s neo speakers and light for a cab that big...