Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gary Willis Clinic in CT 7/15 Tommorrow!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    For any CT area bassists interested, Gary Willis is giving a clinic tomorrow night at G Guitars in New Haven, starting at 7pm. He's also booking private lessons (mine's at 5 :D ) during the day...don't know if he has any time slots left open. Info can be found here http://www.gguitars.com . And for you NY area cats, he's doing a bunch of clinics in the greater NYC area. The clinics are sponsored by Aguilar and D'Addario, and the clinic tour schedule can be found at Aguilar's site http://www.aguilaramp.com .

Be there, or be square! :bassist:

2. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    So when are you going to tell us how your lesson went?!!

3. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    The lesson was fantastic. Gary's approach to soloing is enlightening. We spent most of the lesson on developing a solo over "Blue Bossa". To try and summarize, Gary believes that a good soloist can play whatever he imagines. Connecting your imagination directly to your hands is the goal. Many players are at a point where they can sing a better solo than they can play. In other words, they can imagine a better solo than they can play. This is mainly for two reasons; we don't know our fingerboards well enough and we don't allow enough time (or space) to listen to our own imaginations.

He had me start out with a two note idea, with instruction to start anywhere but the root (NO ROOTS!). He liked what I played, two notes on the and of one, and of two tied to three and four. He stopped me right away, and asked me what two notes I heard next, and had me sing them. "Okay, now play them". He emphasized the importance of developing an idea. "An undeveloped idea is a wasted idea." He often analogizes soloing to speaking. In order to make a point when speaking you have to use language properly and develop your point (or idea) in a way that holds the listener's interest. If you change the subject two or three times during the conversation, you're going to confuse instead of enlighten. You can use proper grammar, but if every sentence is on a different topic, your speech makes no sense. Likewise in soloing, you can play a succession of correct notes over changes, but if the rhythm and note choices don't connect to an idea, your solo will make no sense.

Gary says a solo is an idea expressed through shapes and rhythms. By "shapes" he's referring to the patterns your left hand outlines when you're playing. As you progress you remember how certain patterns or shapes sound. A D Dorian has a shape, a C Mixolidian has a shape, etc. Add rhythm to the shape, allow the space for your imagination to take over, and...voila. :cool:

4. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    Sounds great! Thanks for taking the time to post about it.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Man, I was up in New Hampshire :( Gary's one of my favortie bassists too. How was the clinic itself? I've yet to travel up to GGuitars, but I want to (I live down in New London county).

By the way Craig, did you ever receive the email I sent you asking if you knew of any good instructors in my area?

6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Bryan,

The clinic was great. Gary did lots of playing, and shared lots of insight into technique, set up, gear, etc. He's a monster.

Yes, I did get your email. I've been having some trouble with my email server lately, so it's possible that my response was messed up. But...unfortunately I don't know of anyone in your area. As I recall you're in SW CT? Try calling Mike Nunno (pronounced NOO-No) at Milford Music 203-783-9828. He's a great player himself. I don't know if he teaches or not, but he's the one most likely to know of someone.

7. Good for you Craig - what a fantastic opportunity, a clinic / lesson with Gary W. :cool:

Oh thanks for sharing the tips on soloing ..... :hyper:

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Gary is Amazing. I got to study with him for a year,It was eye opening.

BUY HIS BOOKS

they are what he goes over in lessons untill you get beyond it. Much Cheaper!

I must say that the man in person is incredibly inspiering.but his book are the good stuff!

Aj