1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gauge too heavy for Fretless??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shane-0-matic, Mar 18, 2013.

1. shane-0-matic

shane-0-matic

Aug 13, 2009
    Dayton Ohio
    Being the West Ham United and Iron Maiden fan I am, I decided to put the Steve Harris Sig Flats on my Fretless. Ive got the action as low as possible at the saddles, And the neck is pretty much straight, A slight amount of relief. (If I dont have the action this low the bass is fairly hard to play. It is a Cheap Stagg Fretless)

No matter what I have done to the setup the strings buzz against the fingerboard when playing a low note on the neck (Where the 1st fret would be).

Am I simply playing too high gauge of a string? Or is there anything I can do setup wise to correct the problem and keep the bass playable. Thanks!:bassist:

EDIT: I have also shimmed the neck on the bass with a couple of dense business cards, maybe 3/4 of an inch wide, at the side of the neck pocket closest to the pickups. I did this before i put the new strings on.

2. Try giving the neck a little more relief, less than a quarter turn should do.

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Yup, sometimes bigger strings need a little more room to shimmy.

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Answer, above.

5. shane-0-matic

shane-0-matic

Aug 13, 2009
    Dayton Ohio
    I dropped down to medium gague rounds and im still having the problem. Gonna add some more relief and try to keep it playable, If that doesnt work, Should I consider a new nut?

6. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Add more relief. If that doesn't work, see my previous reply.