1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GBE1200 Users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tendollarcat, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Just a couple of questions. I've pulled the trigger on one of these a couple of days ago and it's on it's way to Australia. I'm a very happy man :D

Questions -

1) What rack cases are you guys using? Has anyone used an aguilar 3ru rack bag? Are rack bags a bit silly for such a heavy head? I know ventilation is important too.

2) Do any of you run a 4ohm and 8ohm cab together? 2.67 ohms would be the outcome. Do you therefore run the GBE with the impedence switch at 2ohms?

3) Any Aussie users - Where the hell do you find 3AG 6A Slow Blow fuses? They seem to be a bit scarce around Brisbane.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    1.I have mine in an old Anvil case.. But i have heard that the Aguilar 3 space works nicely. But i will not swear to it since i have not seen it in action.

2.I run my 1200 into 2.6 oms often.. I use 3 aggy gs112 cabs and i do set the rear impedance switch to 2 ohm operation..

3. Sorry im in the states and I have no idea where to get that fuse.. But a hardware shop or online electronics dealer should be able to supply you .. and Mouser.com has almost everything that you can think of...

3. Hey. Thanks very much for the response. I like the idea of the Aggie rack bag and it appears that head dimensions are very similar. I'm a little concerned that the GBE is slightly deeper so am being cautious.

Great news regarding the 2.6ohm operation too. I have discovered that an EA410 8ohm plus an EA Wizzy 1x12 4ohm is a surprisingly powerful mix. It looks a bit weird but it kicks like a mule :D

4. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    The GBE is DEEP.. I dont know if it will fit in that rack bag...
    It did not fit in my Gator rack bag...

5. I think you may be right. For a matter of saving a few pounds weight, it might just be smarter to get a good full size rack.

6. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    I don't like rag bags for the GBE. Had one originally with my GBE750. It went thermal within 15 minutes of playing. Put it in an SKB case an it's been fine ever since - must be going on 5 years now.

7. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

The GBE series vents to the sides. I don't think Genz recommends bags for that reason. A good quality wooden case is best. Be careful of some of the SKB cases. They don't have enough clearance on the sides, if I remember correctly.

Congrats on the amp. It's a great amp.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Please do not use a rack bag with any amp that has side ventilation. Your amp needs 1" clearance on the right side for the fan inlet.

For an amp that heavy, a touring style rack with steel rack rails is a much better choice. The amp is too heavy for the stamped aluminum rails that are found on the plastic racks as well.

9. Thanks very much for confirming this. It is much appreciated. I'll be going for a touring style rack accordngly.

10. Did you try Jaycar for the fuses mate?

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    If you still have trouble finding fuses, PM me and I'll get you some.

12. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Now is this service or what? I use a road ready and the sleave

13. What are you going to pair it with? Did you have any luck selling those Ea 410's?

I've got a gbe 600 paired with a neo 210 which is pretty good for a rig of its size. I'd like one of those uber 410's but i dont think hydes has access to them yet.

14. Thanks for the replies guys. It turned out that Jaycar and RS Components also were unable to get these fuses. Luckily, Agedhorse has sent me the link to a Sydney supplier. I'm now good to go :)

I'm still using EA cabs and will be when the GBE arrives. I sold one of the NM410s. I now have the option of running my NM410 at 8 ohms. An NM410 with a 1x12 wizzy at 2.6 ohms or 2 wizzy 1x12s at 2 ohms. My preference at the moment is a 4x10 with a 1x12. It looks a bit weird but it sounds great :D

15. Great, do you do many local gigs? I'll have to check out that combo some time. Good luck with it all

16. Interested to know how you're dealing with the voltage on this. Is it a dinky di 240V one?
    Aged horse has previously warned about using a 220V (230V)? one in Australia but that seems a bit odd as there are plenty of other amps/appliances rated at 230V which run without problem. My Fliptops.net transformer for my B15 is 230V as well.

BTW I played one of these recently - it was a backline at a music festival and it sounded unbelievable. I could practically hear the molecules moving around in my D'addarios.

17. This one is a 230volt version. The Genz Benz guys have been fantastic. I bought the head and then emailed them for advice. I only found out about the 240volt version when Jeff informed me. That said, it's meant to be a consideration for voltage spikes(?) in rural areas. I have limited techinical knowledge about this stuff so my terminology may be off. Apparently there are greater variables in these areas which is not ideal for the head. As long as the bulk of my playing is in larger city areas (which it is), all should be good.

I'm really looking forward to getting this head up and running.

18. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    the amps/appliances that run aren't a problem...that ones that fail are. ;) Seriously though, there are some pretty well known brands that haver high failure rates in different parts of Australia. I think it is in the northern part of the country that is infamous for their 270 volt power spikes.

19. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Anyone try the GBE1200 with the Berg AE410 ???

20. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I use a 6-space SKB (the one with the wheels) for my GBE 1200...

And yes, set the impedance switch for 2 ohms if you are running a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cab together.