1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gear too ugly to play :-p

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tshapiro, Apr 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tshapiro

tshapiro Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Jax Florida
    Is there gear that you know you'd like but you don't like the looks of it to the point that you won't play it?

I used to hate Orange brand gear because of the orange. Only black or dark Grey for me. Now in my 50's and my tastes are changing. I would really like some of that Orange gear. I once had an opportunity to buy an amazing custom Warwick HH bass made in Germany, but, it was a loud Lime Green oil finish so I passed. Best best sound and feel that I've played. Funny, I'd kill for that bass today in that Lime color. MarkBass bee-orange speakers... Won't do it. For 20 years I refused to give up my Precision for a Jazz bass because I hated the looks of a Jazz. When I got into slap all that changed I now play a Jazz.

You guys got any holdouts over looks?

2. Some people will say that looks are everything, some will say that looks are nothing. There are plenty of basses I would play but not own. I wasn't fond of how my two white Jazz basses look, nowadays I'm just happy if I'm in the same room as a bass. Aesthetics will always play a role in gear, just for some more than others. Tastes are also known to change over time, in visual appeal as in food.

I dunno, it's all good, play the bass that makes you want to play, otherwise you're playing the bass that makes you not want to play.

tshapiro, WoodyJ, Kyuuga and 7 others like this.
  3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Let’s get this over with...
    BD693742-A8CC-48F5-AC31-9AD0FB7ED4DB.jpeg

4. I actually kinda like it unironically.

5. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I'm not knocking Phil Jones equipment. I'd have no problem using his stuff for in my house practice or light jams with friends but I could not see myself up on a stage with something like this. Less than a 10" speaker is a "no-go" for me! I don't think I'd call Jones stuff ugly or too ugly to be seen with but kind of like similar to driving around in a Smart Car.

main-010d570161a498077e4fc81658f446bb.jpg smart-fortwo-automobile-models-photo-1?w=650&q=50&fm=pjpg&fit=crop&crop=faces.jpg

6. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Nope, if the gear works and feels OK I will play it. About the only thing that would stop me is if it had an obnoxious message on it, something racist homophobic etc.

7. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    Nope. If it sounds ok, I'll play it.
    4996440135_dab97d76eb_z.jpg

8. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think there's any functional gear that's too ugly for me to use; however, some gear is more my style than others so I'd be more likely to own it.

9. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Why .. thats ..... thats a Peavey TNT? just guessing ;)

10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Agreed,
    I really like red stuff, and I'll confess to having a Roland Cube 60 Bass once upon a time. Sounded great until I got a GK 200MB. But the orange didn't really bother me. The one in in the picture below is dirty. They will clean up nicely.

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 9.34.15 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 9.34.06 AM.png

11. La Faro

La Faro

Jun 20, 2016
    Da Nang, Viet Nam
    I don't understand how some think Rickenbackers are beautiful. They look like a prototype desperate to be loved

12. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I get involved in threads like this too often, but I can't help it. If you like something, just play it. Why are so many of us self-conscious about the gear (amp heads, cabinets) that we play? Why do any of us think the audience is actually looking at the bass player's gear? Have you ever witnessed audience members leaving because a bass player's gear is too ugly? Half of them don't even know the difference between a guitar and bass. Most of them have no idea what all of that gear on stage is actually there for.

When you play gear you like, you play better. Period. You smile more, you look like you are having fun, and people want to be around you. People go to live shows for the music and the vibe. When you play gear you don't like, it's obvious.

Lastly, I am coming from the perspective of weekend warriors, not of national acts where image is an entirely different animal.

13. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Ultimately I don’t care what stuff looks like as long as it sounds and feels good. But I must confess, I have the Adam Clayton purple sparkly jazz bass. I love it but sometimes when I play it, I get a glance of the purple sparkles and think “what was I thinking getting this thing?”

14. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    @bassdude51 , going way off-topic, but smart cars are serious fun to drive! Give one a go some time.

Old Blastard likes this.
  15. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    I won't have anything that sounds or looks bad. It's not as if anyone had to sacrifice one for the other.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  16. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I'm on stage. I can't imagine any gear that would look worse. :laugh:

17. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    This amp is AWESOME
    I wouldn’t even care if it didn’t work...

thetragichero and SactoBass like this.
  18. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    I think the audience might leave cause I’m too ugly, so... if I play something nice I can just tag along with it...

juancaminos and SactoBass like this.
  19. I need the most aesthetically pleasing boutique work of art I can find to compliment my cargo shorts sandals and t-shirt.

20. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    Like, “I’m with the gear...” :roflmao:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.