1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Finally Came Home!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 29, 2020.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

After a ridiculously long layaway, I finally took my American Geddy Lee Fender Jazz home. It is great, but the fact I have to take the neck off to adjust the neck (just like a vintage Seventies Jazz,) is a pain in the butt because it could use a little tweak. Still, I am very happy because I have wanted a Seventies style Jazz since the actual Seventies. I will never forget when Bootsy’s RubberBand opened for Parliament, and Bootsy had a pretty white Jazz because his original Space Bass had been stolen. I remember War’s original bassist, B.B. Dickerson, on stage with a Jazz, and I remember the guy from Spain in Heatwave who had a Seventies Jazz too. Ironically, the one time I saw Larry Graham, he had an Alembic.:laugh: Of course, the greatest bassist of my generation, Marcus Miller, rocked a Seventies Jazz, and his Fender is his number one till this day. The funny thing is that I always loved the Geddy Lee Signature Jazz much more than the Marcus Miller. I almost bought a CIJ Geddy about fifteen years ago. That said, I am a pretty big Geddy Lee fan too. I would like to unload my Music Man SUB5, but I may keep it since no one is biting in the classifieds. My Geddy is my four and my Pedulla and my Carvin are my fives.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    JPDsma, Sands, mark Holiday and 221 others like this.
  2. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Congrats!

BB Brian, Matt R, JDLowEnd and 2 others like this.
  3. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Sweet! Hope you enjoy. Would like to get one. I never did understand why they would make it to take the neck off for adjusting ... and people complain about adjusting Ric's.

bmb73, Kyuuga, Moosehead1966 and 3 others like this.
  4. Eli Brockway

Eli Brockway

Oct 1, 2019
    Shouldn't have to take the neck all the way off, at worst you just need to back out the bolts a bit and rock it up. Probably will need to get the pickguard out of the way, though, since those three plys do generally get in the way.

oldfretless and Dr. Cheese like this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It is a pretty faithful reproduction of a 1972.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I adjusted the neck. It took maybe three minutes. I think I can live with it.:D

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks!

DigitalMan likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Here is a little more thumb wok. I love the tone!:bassist:

10. unresolved

unresolved Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2015
    SF Bay Area
    Dang, Doc! It seems like you've been talking about that instrument since back when you were still Mr. Cheese. I love the neck profile on those basses; congratulations!

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I do not plan on any more layaways. It seems like every time something could go wrong, it went wrong. My kid is going off to college in August, I better be happy with toys I already have.;):thumbsup:

ChaZam, RocknRay, 600 Ohms and 17 others like this.
  12. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    At last...!cool beans...hold on to it...it’s a NICE bass, especially if you like the early 70s Jazz vibe...you’ll get used to taking the neck off to make tweaks and you probably won’t have to do it very often anyway...congrats..!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am too old to let good basses go. This may very well be my last new bass ever. I know folks don’t believe, but I am just in different place now than my first seven or eight years on TalkBass.

JPDsma, petrus61, ELG60 and 13 others like this.
  14. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    That is a great sounding bass. Enjoy!

bholder and Dr. Cheese like this.
  15. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Congrats!! I think it’s one of the best basses Fender makes. The neck profile is perfectly carved.

Spidey2112 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes, the neck is awesome. The finish looks slick, but it does not feel sticky at all.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Glad you’re digging it! I’m still considering the model. Time will tell if I’ll take one home eventually. Enjoy!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  18. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    congratulations! it finally came!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Fender had 21 years between the introduction of their first bass and 1972 to realize that you should be able to adjust a truss rod without having to take off the neck. Their stubbornness in matters like these is why, although I play instruments that are similar in many ways to Fenders, I have never actually owned a whole Fender bass (I had a bass with a Fender neck once, so I've owned half of a Fender bass. The body (which wasn't a Fender) was the first of several bodies where I've routed a truss rod access channel.

It's not that hard to fix these things, so long as you're paying attention, and are willing to put in a tiny bit of work. The company I work for, we make gear for pro sound use. If we acted like Fender, our competitors would have taken all our business many decades ago.

JPDsma, J_Bass, nnnnnn and 3 others like this.
  20. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats X 100! This has truly been an adventure in the making, and I'm glad that it's finally home. Enjoy it in the best of health!

Dr. Cheese likes this.