Geddy Lee????? I don't get it.......

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 2behead, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Mr.Hat

Mr.Hat

Sep 18, 2010
    We , teh Internet values your opinion

imagesCA8AJNHA.jpg

2. rockosocko

rockosocko

Sep 14, 2008
    Rush never really used to do it for me, but after years of repeated exposure to them, I've become a big fan of theirs as a band.There is a great deal of creativity in their music and some of their stuff is pretty challenging to pull off. You don't have to "get" what either they or Geddy is trying to do, but give credit where credit is do. As far as comparing him to other players, bear in mind Geddy was doing his thing when most rock players of the day (with the exception being Squire and Entwistle) were sticking to playing simple unimaginative lines.

3. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I like rush...I honestly didn't knwo what songs were theirs until I joined TB (When I was a kid listening to the radio, I thought Geddy and Joan Jett were the same). Now they're one of the few english language bands I'll actually listen too. People give me crap for not having heard (insert recent band name here) all day at work, so if you don't like rush, you don't like rush, end of story.

4. :rolleyes:Relay?Relay?......

5. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    1934138_1314508258557.53res_300_300.jpg

6. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i could take rush or leave them but for a different reason; neil peart doesn`t move me.
    he is technically good, but has always left me flat. he overplays and comes across as untasteful at times; i know i am alone on this one...
    when i hear rush, i just wish neil would on occasion lay it down instead of doing too many fills, etc. i don`t get the punchline...

7. ZBirdV8

ZBirdV8

Feb 26, 2012
    Detroit Michigan
    3oqqtc.jpg
    If you say bad things about RUSH on a bass forum. You're gonna have a bad time.

8. +<some absurdly large number>

9. Awesome!

To the OP: It's fine to have your own opinion on what you like. There are many bands and types of music I don't like. However, I would never go on a forum and start a thread about how much I hate them! Just poor form IMO.

Apparently you have not read the forum rules regarding insults to Rush or Geddy.:D

10. Oy vey

11. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    Rush doesn't appeal to everyone.. there isn't a single band on this planet that does. But, in my mind, my alternative is to respect the band's accomplishments. I am not a fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers in any way, but they have a huge legion of fans who say otherwise. So, rather than come into a forum and make a statement as such, leave it be. Ok, you're not a fan, all good. If they are hyped a bit and you fail to see why, it doesn't make you any less a musician, or a person for that matter. Music, and the skill used to create it, is subjective...

12. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I was never really a big fan of Rush, and I am not a huge fan now, but I recently saw them live, when they played Moving Pictures in it's entirety, and I must say, they are not dry, stale and uneventful. If you don't like them, great. Not really a big deal, but seriously... I could post a thread a day about bands that I dislike. What is the point.

Oh, and master this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPAqEQ1_ctQ

13. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Inactive

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Talkbass has no place for personal opinions!

Thou must follow the herd!

Shame on you, OP!

14. ZBirdV8

ZBirdV8

Feb 26, 2012
    Detroit Michigan
    Quoted for Truth

15. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    I think it'd be more fun to talk about Republican vs. Democrat. Or Mac vs. PC.

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    Rush is not for everybody ...

But most musicians like Rush

Personally I like Rush a lot.

:bassist:

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    Except for with republican vs democrat one is right and one is wrong. The same goes for mac vs pc.

:bag:

18. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Spelling 'ton' as 'tun' and 'really' as 'relay' - maybe, just maybe, Rush is flying a mile or two over your head.

19. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    WRT the OP. I respect the opinion and don't think he's saying anything bad or out of bounds about Rush.

I feel the same about some other bands and various heroes of others around here. The bottom line is that if the music doesn't click for you, then it doesn't. No need to force it. The world creates about 24 hours worth of new music every ten minutes. We can all move on from the music that doesn't suit our taste.

If everyone was passionate about Rush then good tickets to their upcoming tour would be ridiculously overpriced and extremely hard to get...

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021