Geddy Lee????? I don't get it.......

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 2behead, Apr 29, 2012.

1. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    OK, First off I know I will get a tun of flack. But I HATE Geddy Lee and Rush. Sorry people. AHhahahaha! I just don't get it. I don't see the appeal. It all seems so sterile and contrived, over rehearsed, and poorly written. Now to clarify, there are players I don't care for but truly respect. Victor Wooten for example, Fantastic, Hell, amazing player. Not my thing, but wonderful. I believe it. Seems like he is making it up as he goes, Has a sense of spontaneity to it. Les Claypool , he is another one. I'm not a Primus fan, but his playing seems authentic, has that something behind it. Rush just sounds like a few soulless studio guys that thought they could do it better that the artistes they were recording for. The playing is great, but is so FLAT, so SAFE, so blaaaa. They are like Mc Donalds, The Idea of food. But with no nourishment. I get more excited about a 16 year old kid that only knows the pentatonic in A and E but loves it than Rush. Am I the only one that feels this way?

See my next comment @ #84 before you respond .....

2. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    Oh my dear baby jesus. HIDE!!

3. JesusMetalFunk

JesusMetalFunk

Aug 11, 2011
    Not a big rush fan or primus fan, but I do like Vic.

Geddy can sing, while they may not have been recorded at the same time I give props to people who pull off singing and playing live. I haven't seen Rush live either, but I am assuming they pull it off pretty well.

How are they live compared to other comparable rock acts?

4. ZBirdV8

ZBirdV8

Feb 26, 2012
    Detroit Michigan
    [​IMG]

5. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Cool story bro.

6. Wyrm74

Wyrm74

Oct 28, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    IBTL

7. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    I hate use such a cliche, but this is a perfect exmple of a troll thread if ever I saw one.

8. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    Not sure there really is a good act to compare them to...

But as far as their ability to perform live, here's La Vila Strangiato from '79:

To the OP- nobody said you had to like Geddy, or the band. But I would recommend listening to some of their older stuff, perhaps Hemispheres or 2112 before finalizing your judgment of them.

Rush tends to be one of the more polarizing bands in rock history - people tend to either love them or hate them.

9. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    Admittedly I haven't listened to a lot of Rush. Just what is on the radio, what is put on at parties and the few stray "no you gotta hear this one" incidents. I can see the skill. He/they are soled. I just feel like the only bass player I know that isn't into at at all. It's one of those, "that guy? Relay?" situations. I will check out Hemispheres. I want to see it but I just haven't heard any thing to back up all the hype.
    What else should I listen to. Something that sounds organic?

10. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    There are a lot of bands and players I don't really care for. I just don't see the value in posting about it...

11. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    [​IMG]

12. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    You seem to have painted a target on your back ;)

I'm not sure a taste for Rush can be acquired. I grew up listening to them in the 70's and early 80's. I'd put myself in the "love 'em" camp. However I lost interest in much of their new material from the 80's onward. I know plenty of people who are my generation who can't stand them.

I think for bass players, Rush stands out because the band is fronted by a bass player- and bass features very prominently in the music. The hype about Geddy stems not just from his ability, but from how he approaches the instrument. He is a maverick (hell, all three are). His bass lines really couldn't have come from anyone else. But it doesn't end there- see them live, and you realize that he not only plays those complex lines, but does so while simultaneously singing complex vocal lines, and often foot pedal synth. To top it all off, the guy doesn't seem have a shred of arrogance about him.

If you are serious about discovering what it is that others see in Geddy the band, I'd recommend watching the documentary, Beyond the Lighted Stage.

If after that you're still at a loss, I'd say give up trying. Move on to stuff that does turn your crank.

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I see what you mean, although I do not se it exactly this way.
    I always thought the real weakness in rush were the songs and still think so.
    But...some of their music did get to me, not much, but some.
    After all thei have been able to keep on going for 30 years or so, so I guess they are doing something right.
    I do like Geddy Lee's solo disc.

At the end; it's music. you don't have to 'get' it. :)

14. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
    You're not the only one.... my Dad doesn't like Rush either. Me, I think they are awesome and have since I first heard them around 36 years ago. "So FLAT, so SAFE, so blaaaa" is the last thing I'd associate with Geddy's playing ... listen to everything from Rush through to Signals and report back. There's some great writing and great playing in there. Watch "Rush in Rio" to get a glimpse of their ability to ignite an audience.

15. So what do you like?

PS: I'm not a Rush-freak BTW

16. Mitchinboxer

Mitchinboxer

Jan 25, 2012
    I have always despised the music of Rush for the simple reason that all of their songs that I've heard, at least dozens, have been collections of likeminded riffs with no emotional content. To be Rush, all you would have to do is be born as a middle class kid, go into your garage with plenty of musical equipment and two equally well to do friends and practice until you could play some pretty tasty riffs. Not exactly a lot of talent required there! In fact, I'm surprised this is a "brave" opinion on Talkbass, to the point that this is regarded as a "troll post". In the real world? They are seen by the majority as immature, posturing prog-rock, which I think is an accurate assessment.

17. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    No, I feel nothing like the OP. Rush is not flat, sterile or anything like that. Poorly written? Nah, masterfully written is more like it. You could say that Geddy overplays, maybe somebody will agree with you, but sorry man, I love Rush and Geddy.

18. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Just because you're numb to the emotion doesn't mean it isn't there.

Now, to me the early stuff doesn't resonate so much with me, but pretty much everything since Moving Pictures tickle something in me. And I only got into Rush with Snakes And Arrows 5 years ago, so no, it's not tied to my adolescence or youth.

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    To me the BIG problem with snakes and arows was that to me the sound quality was real poor, so I ended up giving it away to a friend.

20. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    +1. Rush doesn`t do it for me, mainly because of Geddy`s singing. But I give the guy props - just cause it isn`t my cup of tea doesn`t necessarily mean it has no merit. Same goes for Primus - the vocals are a big turn-off, but those guys are fantastic musicians

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021