Geddy Lee????? I don't get it.......

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 2behead, Apr 29, 2012.

1. john_g

john_g

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Apparently we should. I mean, I get being able to express whatever you want but is it really necessary? Seriously, what do you get out it? Just spending a few days on TB, you will see that Geddy is one of the most revered bassists so as far as I am concerned, the OP is just trying to stir up BS.

2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    You are about to be Beheaded by Rush fans.
    I am not a big fan but recently watched the DVD, RUSH in RIO.
    They have some really serious fans.

3. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    Ok, this is the sort of thing I was hoping for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPAqEQ1_ctQ This is a GREAT bass line. Some of the runs are fantastic. All I was getting at was that I didn't know what all the fuss was about. I was hoping a few people would try to "Set me strait" in a constructive way. Still not a fan but My interest is sparked. I was not trying to stir the pot with this post. I had a idea that it would, but mostly wanted to ether be shown why Geddy Lee is treated as a God, or find out if I was not alone.
    As far as who I do like, I love Paul Mccartney, Bootsy, Collins, and Rocco Prestia. Then that guy, Jamerson. he could play a little bit :) Those guys are believable to me.

4. Ruffled chips are much better than non-ruffled ones.

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    u hurted my feelers.....

dude bass is so easy just play all the dots.

and nobody hears you in metal bands so get long hair and do helicopters. Its really the role for a bass player in metal.

Its ok to crouch down real low, that is cool. But if the guitar is doing the same thing. it is better to just do helicopters.

6. If Rush is safe, I don't think I want to hear what you call dangerous. I don't particularly love Rush but safe is hardly the word I'd use.

7. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I think that Rush is OK,
    my woman however, can't "appreciate" Geddy's voice.

Now Jaco............ there's something I "don't get"!!!!
    I hear people gushing over one of his tunes, I check it out and
    think to myself - "Is this some kind of joke?"

Good thing there are enough different types of music to keep us all entertained.

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Rush..."Clockwork Angels Tour" September 18, 2012, Palace of Auburn Hills- Michigan 7:30 pm...be there.....LOL

9. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    I could never "appreciate" his face either, but with age it seems to make more sense.

10. john_g

john_g

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My wife doesnt like Rush at all and its not just Geddy's voice. But she likes romantic, simplistic, pop tunes you dont have to think too much about. Im a rabid Rush fan and cant stand most of what she likes.

Now...Jaco...I didnt think I would get into him because its not my cup of tea but I really have. You have to remember that most of what you have heard from him was from the mid to late 70s and no one was playing like that (or at least not many). These days you have a million guys and its common for that type of playing but back then, he was IT. I first hear Teen Town and was blown away. Its one of my favorite tunes to play.

11. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    My 3 years old girl love Rush, dancing to The Mission, 2112, Leave that thing alone.... :)

12. English band?

13. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Logical fallacy: when somebody calls a band "immature prog-rock," they are probably using "prog" pejoratively; that is, they regard all prog-rock as immature. Which is silly. At least from my perspective.

14. English language. They are from Toronto,after all. :D

15. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    You have too much time on your hands - go practice your bass if you actually have one

16. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    Ignoring that this is an obvious troll job...

I can certainly see someone hating Rush (those quirks that a lot of us find endearing ain't for everyone...), but to call Geddy's bass playing "sterile" is absurd. His playing and tone are pretty much the antithesis of "sterile."

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021