Geddy Lee????? I don't get it.......

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 2behead, Apr 29, 2012.

1. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    You're allowed.

Again, you're allowed. lol

2. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    I have heard Rush all of my life. Unfortunately I had no clue that it was Rush or that Geddy Lee was the man/band behind the music, but I'm familiar with their stuff just from being around and hearing it.

I like most of their stuff, the guys are certainly talented, there are times where Geddy's voice is a bit ummmmm annoying. However I can still appreciate it for being different and thank god NOTHING at all like the garbage from today's artist. That alone is a reason to like them, lol.

Primus on the other hand I just don't get it at all, talented as hell, ridiculously good musicians but I can't stand the vocals, take that out and I'd love them.

What I've never understood is the people that idolize these people, even grown men.
    I mean you can almost see them getting squirmy in their seats from the other end of the Internet. Like a couple of 13 year old girls at a New Kids On The Block Concert.
    Lord that must really make poor Geddy so uncomfortable at times.
    Then you have the stalkerish type that truly become obsessed, people that go out of there way to touch these guys and would be happy to have these guys ball sweat on there face if they could. It's scary and again, Geddy and other artists must be terrified of stuff like that.

You know who they are too, they're the ones that get all bent out of shape the minute someone says that they don't like Rush or insert whatever band name here (. .)

To the OP I completely get why you posted the thread, there is definitely a strong following for Rush here more so than most places I believe due to Geddy being a bass player, and a great one at that. It seems you don't really get it and are curious why others are so struck by it/them.
    So why not ask?
    I like them but he'll even I'm curious why some people are so star struck by them. Almost as if he was a god or something.
    He is bad a$$ no doubt but...............................

3. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    No, you still are. :D

This guy didn't defend his bad stance in the thread. One is troll behavior, one is ignorant.

4. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    I wasn't trolling, I posted this a while back but no one read it.

Ok, this is the sort of thing I was hoping for. A example of Geddy Lee Ruling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPAqEQ1_ctQ This is a GREAT bass line. Some of the runs are fantastic. All I was getting at was that I didn't know what all the fuss was about. I was hoping a few people would try to "Set me strait" in a constructive way. Still not a fan but My interest is sparked. I was not trying to stir the pot with this post. I had a idea that it would, but mostly wanted to ether be shown why Geddy Lee is treated as a God, or find out if I was not alone.
    As far as who I do like, I love Paul Mccartney, Bootsy Collins, and Rocco Prestia. Then that guy, Jamerson. he could play a little bit :) Those guys are believable to me.

5. Well those guys aren't like Geddy, end of story. Rush doesn't play music that way. It's taken me a while to realize this myself but there's no such thing as "setting straight" you can't help who you like and dislike. You either do or you don't. I'm sure you recognize he's a skilled bass player but he's not for you. Your time is better spent finding stuff you do enjoy rather than trying to forcefully change your own position.

I made a thread about how I don't really dig James Brown. Still don't outside of a few rare instances. But I can appreciate what he's done for music despite him being an awful human being. I didn't really get into big band and bebop until after my time with my high school jazz band. I don't like grunge, never have and if I ever do in the future it will be the biggest shock ever. I think you get where I'm going with this post.

6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Hold still I'm going to punch you in the face.

JK. I don't like Yes or Genesis or what's her name--Brittany Spears. Madonna. Katy Perry. Justin Beaver. There are a lot of popular bands I dislike. Who cares.

7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    +1. Methinks the OP is listening to more recent stuff, so I can see where the music of that era could come off like that. Definitely listen to some of their earlier (pre-Moving Pictures) stuff before you pass judgement.

To be fair, my older brother, who is generally a prog rock fan, can't stand Rush either, but because of Geddy's voice. THAT I can see. I personally think it's great.

8. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Inactive

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    The thing about Geddy Lee, is not that he is so great (but he is!) but that he is really original! It's easy in today's internet age to point out all these young, new chop monsters, but basically, they are "standing on the shoulders of giants"...and those giants are, Geddy lee, Chris Squire and John Entwistle. These were really the first bass rock gods. Innovators all of them. It could be argued that Jack Bruce is one of them too, but for me, those three I just mentioned were doing incredibly new things with rock bass at the time. In every way, from the tone they got, to the lines they wrote, it was all very different from Paul mcCartney and James Jamerson, who are of course, Gods in their own right. But there three took bass tone a step further.
    For me, Moving Pictures was Geddy's finest moment. That tone, which is so good you can't really always tell which of the two basses he was using, was just the coolest, raddest sound I had ever heard.

9. Fireguy

Fireguy

Mar 6, 2012
    Recently at a jam session a couple of guys asked me if I could play YYZ.

I told them "Hell, I can't even spell YYZ!"

10. Picktastic

Picktastic

Feb 29, 2012
    I think he is a very good singer but his voice is on the annoying side for me. A lot of the radio hits are also annoying even though they are still technically awesome. But a lot of the stuff that didn't get as much commercial airplay is just incredible. And not to mention Geddy is just an amazing musician.

11. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    I also hate Geddy...

He pretty much made me buy a Fender Jazz (or six), a Rick & a Wal... Still looking for a deal on a Steinie...

12. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    WHA?? NOOOO!!!!! :bawl:

Do you mean like slow, sludgy grunge music with growly vocals through the whole song? I kind of put that stuff in the same category as techno...I can listen to it for only so long and enjoy it before I need some variety. I tend to prefer the alternative rock of the 90's more than the early grunge stuff, though I do appreciate grunge putting that 80's hair metal out of its misery :D

Tru dat. His vocals are kind of an acquired taste, like Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins. I will give Billy this though, he made his vocals work with the music...Adore would not have been as good sung by anyone else but him.

13. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    But a lot of the stuff that didn't get as much commercial airplay is just incredible.

As I have been recommended things to listen to, I think this is the key.

14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I didn't care for Rush for several years after I was initially exposed to them. Then one day, something clicked for me mentally when I listened to them and I finally understood.

I went through their back catalog and was bowled over by them and all this brilliant music that I had heard before but somehow not listened to. From then on, I've been a Rush nut like the rest.

So beware, we all think such things could never happen to us, "I am immune to such things", "I can stop listening at any time" they all say, but this could happen to you just like it happened to the rest of what is probably the most dedicated, loyal and fanatical fanbase of any band since the Grateful Dead.

15. Haha, then we are sworn enemies! Hair metal/glam rock rules grunge droolz!!

16. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

You can't get what you don't know.Whatever. Do the work before you shoot your gate off. /thread
    Rush never made music for you or the masses, they make the music they want to. Over-rehearsed?: its conceptual music brain guy... may as well say 'I don't dig Chopin; its so over-rehearsed.'

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Don't care either way, to be quite honest.

18. I like Katy Perry!! I just mute the tv and put another song on :D

19. I think it may have been the " hate " part? I understand what you are trying to say coming from but have to totally disagree. Love Rush music. Just maybe "hate teddy Lee/ rush" was not the right words to use.

20. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Now you've gone and done it. Once the hordes of adolescent TalkBass Geddy Lee fanboys finish with you, there won't be anything left. :eek:

Bye bye... :p

MM

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021