1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee Jazz (US) Owners Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theevilplankton, May 23, 2018.

1. Simple versatility question - clearly from the online reviews, the US variant has got the Geddy grind.

However, I've not seen anything of people playing anything except that! Quite interested how it sounds doing the bridge pup full, neck down a bit....is it any thumpier or different to any other US Jazz? And others?

My use for it is in two bands - one, flat-out, R'n'B trio - so that would be full-on GL mode in the trio (I used to play a Ricky in this).

Secondly, in a semi-acoustic quartet - currently using an AVRI '63 P-bass with flats in that - my sole bass right now. Does the GL do 'polite' with those pups? Or is it always on full bark mode?

I'd have to sell the '63 to fund it....so it's got to be a good all-rounder. It's a bit of a bucket list bass, as I used to have a MIJ, and I'm a GL fan. However, I'm not really wanting to sound like him all the time.....hence the questions, as I could easily get a US Standard/Pro for a lot, lot less...or even a used AVRI '74 (and keep my P). I am a bit concerned over the GL's price tag.....it's an awful lot for a US Jazz bass over other 'quality' instruments......

I can't restring the P every time I play with each band, as it's the whole one with flats/rounds thing....each band needs a slightly different approach and tone.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I bought mine used, from an outstanding TB member... love it, too! I never have A/B'd it with my Highway One, but both sound great, each in their own way.

If I were you, I'd do everything I could to keep your AVRI P...

... AND...

... get a backup,,whether it be the GL, or any other jazz type model.

Good luck!

theevilplankton likes this.
  3. Only problem with the AVRI I have, is that sometimes with the wider fretboard, I find it digs into my lower forefinger socket a bit...probably my bad technique!

Don't get me started on clay fret markers...

....but it sounds awesome!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I've heard nothing but good from those lucky enough to have an AVRI P, or Jazz...

... I've been more of a Jazz guy, as I really like the smaller size necks, but I just purchased a MIM Precision from CME, and it's working well for me... very comfortable neck, not overly chunky (we're talking 1/16" on each side of the neck, compared to a Jazz), and light.

5. It certainly is quite a chunk of wood on the AVRI!