1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee US book Tour

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Valsmere, Jul 9, 2019.

1. It's a soccer field and picnic area park, and to be honest, I go to the Variety Playhouse a bunch of times and I've NEVER known about this place. (Variety is next to 7 Stages on the map.) Little Five Points was once known as the Bass District; I don't know why. L5P is the closest Atlanta will get to Haight-Ashbury.

And yes, I've harshed the joke. My bad.

TyTass likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well I guess that's a little better.

moonshinegtrs and HolmeBass like this.
  3. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Thanks for posting this, great, now everyone in the world will be there

jimmyb likes this.
  4. ofguilt

ofguilt

Aug 3, 2016
    Im wondering if KSHE is part of why St. Louis is on the list. However the bookstore he’s going to be at is a very niche independent bookseller so that fits.

First I heard of this was someone calling into the station this morning asking if Geddy was going to be on air in studio the day he is in St. Louis.

5. Valsmere

Valsmere Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2018
    southern NJ
    Sorry to bring it up,my honest intrntions were to bring notice to people on this message board a chance to grt the book. I read on here that others have tried to get order it and their orders were cancelled due to stock not meeting demand.
    Sorry

Wilmingtonian likes this.
  6. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    His bass exhibit is just two hours away from me! I was going to go but my dog sitter bailed and I won’t subject my dogs to 30 degree Celsius heat no matter how much I want to see #1 up close

twocargar likes this.
  7. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you for acknowledging the obvious. Few people seem to. It is shot. R30 tour was fine, but everything else after, his voice just got worse and worse. The last tour was something I would not have missed for anything but there were some songs that he could not pull off AT ALL and even the new material just wasn’t that great, vocally.

It’s not age. Jon Anderson and Roger Hodgson are both quite a bit older and can still hit the high notes with no problem.

I don’t know what his way forward is going to be. His voice has always been his biggest selling point (or biggest problem, either way, it’s his most distinctive asset) for non-bassists.

Wilmingtonian and MonetBass like this.
  8. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    You can't leave your dogs alone at home while you go?

9. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    We are trying to house break a puppy and she is very stubborn. If she was fully grown I would be able to.

N4860 likes this.
  10. FenderP

FenderP

May 7, 2005
    I know you're probably kidding, but Geddy will only sign the book, it must be personalized, and no pics with him.

11. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    No worries. I'm trying to be better about any "back in my day..." ramblings, so suffice to say I'm long acquainted with the area. ;) I'm guessing the gentri- ...er, excuse me, I mean demographic shift - of L5P, Inman Park, O4W, etc. is extensive enough now to support brisk sales of a boutique coffee table book from that store. Whodathunkit.

12. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

i already have the book and thought about going in my area, but then read all the "rules" pertaiining to going.....decided after that it wouldn't be worth the trip. oh well.

Please read the following information carefully before purchasing:
    • The event is a book signing ONLY (no talk).
    • You must purchase a ticket to attend (includes 1 book).
    • Mr. Lee will ONLY sign copies of Big Beautiful Book of Bass purchased at Brookline Booksmith (additional copies will be available at the event).
    • Mr. Lee will sign + personalize up to 5 books per attendee.
    • Every book Mr. Lee signs must be personalized (e.g. "For Anna").
    • Mr. Lee will not sign other titles/memorabilia, or pose for photos.
    • Anyone who purchases a ticket to this event must be in attendance to get their copy signed. If a ticket holder is unable to attend an unsigned copy will be held for pick up after the event.
    • Updates and further information will be sent to ticketholders via email.

43ManSquamish, Spidey2112 and Winslow like this.
  13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Not even a fist bump?

jimmyb likes this.
  14. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Yup. On the one hand, I get that publishers are trying to move inventory, and drive traffic & sales to a given store. But the boilerplate rules they have for these things now are a fun-deletion machine. Not just for the buying public either; authors basically get turned into human auto-pens when it's like this. Sign-shuffle-sign-shuffle-sign-repeat ad infinitum. Not much fun to be had on that side of the table either.

If it were a less pricey title, I wouldn't sweat ~20 bucks or so to get another one and have it signed. But a $90 ticket, with sales tax on top of that? All goodwill & good wishes to Ged, but he doesn't need my money that badly anyway.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  15. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

upload_2019-7-10_8-37-15.

Robert B, jimmyb, MonetBass and 2 others like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    :D:laugh::D:laugh::D!

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I already had the book so I took a pass as well. It was a 3 hour drive each way for me. I’d love to meet Geddy as he was a major influence in my early years, but this is just an assembly line to sell books. I get it. Just not worth it to me without a picture/fist bump opportunity.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  18. He's in Chicago on the 17th, I think... and it will be at the Barnes and Noble near Lincoln Park, in Chicago.
    I'd have no time to do that. I work all day. Then, it's on a Wed.
    He'll only sign the book and will take photos, but not during the book signings....

I had the chance to meet Geddy at Rolling Stones records in Norridge, IL for Geddy's solo album release. He signed my CD and a photo I took of him back in 1984...

[​IMG]

Spidey2112 and MonetBass like this.
  19. [​IMG]

Spidey2112 likes this.
  20. Yeah... a lot of my photos are stuck on Photobucket... I hate that watermark they put on there and the site is very slow and seems to crash a lot when I try to find photos. It's a disaster.