1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Live - Steinberger or Wal?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lijazz, Mar 11, 2011.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    :eyebrow:

2. Further to my original post, and in response to what someone else here stated, Yes, I was speaking of the Black Wal he used from 85-90. I actually like he sound of the Red Wal much better as even Geddy says he does. It does seem to have more bottom end than the black one, it even sounds similar (to my ears at least) to his live Steinberger sound.

On a side note: Watching so many YouTube vids from the 87-94 years has made me realize how much better Neil's Ludwigs (especially the first set, 87-90, with the double bass) sounded than the DWs do.

3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I started listening to Rush in the late 80`s so those basses were the more familiar to me, not the Jazz/Rick.

Although I love his Jazz tone, I`ve been GASing for a Wal since that time. Although it`s not very "rock oriented" it bites like no other.

I`ve heard YYZ played with all of those 4 basses, and no other one has the articulation and detail the Wal delivers.

IMO, the Steinberger sounds a bit sterile and lack of warmth (main reason Geddy switched later to a Wal)

4. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I believe that is why Geddy said he stopped playing the Wal, not enough bottom end. He said they were fantastic instruments but lacked some of what he was looking for...

5. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Geddy's tone on "Tom Sawyer" is one of my...well, I can't really call it an influence, but certainly a defining moment in my musical development. That song was one of the tunes that made me WANT to play bass.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Dude ... that is just wrong ...

Rush - YYZ

7. Mr. Earl

Mr. Earl

Sep 13, 2008
    The berg tone is definitely more punchier..bye the way I'm taking my 8-year old to his 3rd Rush show in April. This time 2nd row.

8. I hadn't really noticed how beastly the Steinberger was live. It definitely has more of that kickass rock tone to it (more like his rick tone), however... :D listen to territories. DAYUM!! you can't beat that!

9. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Steinberger all the way! I like the Wal, but Geddy did some of his best playing on the Steinberger.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  10. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    I immediately thought Wal... But looking over the thread I'll be taking a listen to some YouTube.

He could probably make a hamberger sound good.

11. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    His tone on the "Hold Your Fire" album always brings a smile to my face, so I guess I vote Wal.

12. 21Dmoney12

21Dmoney12

Mar 24, 2011
    This is a no brained for me... WAL BASS!!!! As an epic rush nerd was very particular in knowing who used what and when, I listen to songs from power windows and "the big money" and "marathon" utilize the Wal's epic tone so well, I love it too on hold your fire though I believe it had a bit more growl or grit to it on power windows, I think that his wal sounded the least great on presto, there was no "bass" to it, it sounded paper thin and had no real power to it, however, that tone suited the bass solo in "show don't tell" quite well... Roll the bones wal tone I find very similar to hold your fire's tone... Yeah the steinberger I don't really think compares, and the fender jazz bass isn't worthy of even being mention in te same sentence as the Wal, I dislike the jazz bass the more I hear it...... Wal bass for the win

13. 21Dmoney12

21Dmoney12

Mar 24, 2011
    Territories.... Just wow, amazing tone, you got it right, you can't beat that

14. rj1972

rj1972

Nov 17, 2008
    Massapequa Park NY
    D'addario Endorsee, Tom Clement Bass Endorsee
    Just to add some more fun facts, Power Windows was recorded with the producers Wal. He received the black one after the record was finished.

15. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
  16. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
  17. Personally, I love how the same two guys that wrote "Need Some Love" went on to write "Mystic Rhythms" and "Kid Gloves".

18. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    That is really good bass tone on that video as well. Also Geddy's bath robe is kinda funny.

The truth is Geddy can make pretty much any bass sound good.

19. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    And that, in a nutshell, is why I'll be boarding a Fontier Airlines flight to LaGuardia on April 8th to see him for the 33rd time (and again on June 16th, here in Feenicks). The past three shows at RedRocks were as close as I get to a religious experience.

20. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Redrocks itself constitutes a religious experience. Add Rush, and you're frickin Moses on Mt Sinai.