1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Live - Steinberger or Wal?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lijazz, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Although I absolutely love the creation of Mr. Ned Steinberger and I'm the proud owner of a 1985 XL2, I must say that the tone that Geddy got from his Steinie is my least favorite. I prefer his Wal recordings a lot more.

2. I love the Steinberger sound that Geddy got. The Wal is my least favorite of all the major bass eras he's been through yet.

superdick2112 likes this.
  3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I love the Steinberger sound. I like it more than his current tone, actually.

The Wal is my least favorite Geddy era. It's unlike any Wal bass I've heard elsewhere, which I suppose speaks better of Wal's electronics than Geddy's taste.

superdick2112 and son_of_mogh like this.
  4. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    As a Wal player for 20 years...my main and sometimes only instruments...."lifeless" doesn't compute at all. Don't know how Geddy could determine that unless he got a lemon of some sort or it was due to the light strings he used on the Mark I. Also, the light strings most likely were the cause of his sensing a lack of bottom...or lessening, as Wals have huge, huge bottom. No other bass I have played has matched my Wals for bottom when all is set flat. I actually have have to dial back bottom at times as it is almost too much.

5. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    At the time I loved the Wal tone and preferred it hands down. Looking back, I think if I had to chose between which of the two to hear for a whole Rush show it would be the 'Berger.

The Wal was used from Power Windows through part of Roll the Bones to great effect. It was a very appropriate tone that fit the "hi-fi" sound of those records. In reading interviews Geddy explained how he chose the tone, and strung it with really light rotosound funk masters (.030-.090) to stay more in the mids away from the lows of the keys. I cannot imagine any other bass being used on Power Windows or Hold Your Fire (especially HYF).

That said, Rush is a rock band and the 'Berger is a rock bass, thus much better suited for their typical set list.

Of course, Geddy's Wal sound is one small trick that the Wal can perform, so I am writing this under the assumption that we are comparing GEDDY's Berger tone to GEDDY's Wal tone.

Overall, I think a Wal can do much more than Ged was doing which was maxing out the hyper-active funk tone. If I were asked to play a Rush show I would bring a Wal.

6. Kugel

Kugel Guest

I hated what I called the Steinbrenner (because I believed it was good only for use as a baseball bat; also this private joke with myself was conveniently Geddy-related) for many years. In the last couple of years however, as an avid bootleg listener, I have amended my hatred. It is still my least favorite of Geddy's basses, but I happen to agree with the reasons for your "indefensible" position. It's very serviceable and always audible.

I should also note here that my favorite of Geddy's basses for live performance has become the Wal, which he used from 1986 through 1992. As an avowed Ric 4001 addict (not that I can afford one or anything; my serviceable late-'70s Epi and I will just wait until I win the lottery, I guess :bassist: ), this development surprised me very much. But there it is. That Wal makes me want to squeal like a Belieber. So, I can identify a bit with your indefensibility. :D

7. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    +1
    I've bought & sold quite a few basses over the past 35 years, but selling my Steinberger is one of my few regrets. :(
    That bass had it all - tone, balance, portability, uniqueness & character. :bassist:
    One of these day, I will buy another one, and this time it will be a keeper. :thumbsup: