Gene Simmons is Good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tapehead, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Here we go again.......

Where I'm coming from:

Gene inspired me to play bass when I was 10. I know he didn't play bass on everything, but he did play on most of the tunes on the first discs up to Dynasty; many of his lines were melodic, and he was certainly not just bashing out root notes all the time (just like Peter Criss brought a rock n' roll/jazzy bounce to the drums). In addition, he wrote/co-wrote some really cool songs, a few of which have become rock anthems. Look at the people who covered KISS songs on record, including Stevie Wonder singing & playing harp with Lenny Kravitz on "Deuce". This is before we even begin to talk about the stage show/make up that made the brand iconic.
    Gee, sounds like he really sucks.

Now don't get me wrong, not everything was a gem, there were moments were cringe-inducing, and I've broadend my horizons considerably since the age of 10. But I'll take a classic KISS song over some technical fuso-wankstery from the "TB-approved" list of bass masters anyday.

rickwebb and Staredge like this.
  2. +1

H

3. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    first of all....anyone playing a kiss cover for youtube i dont take seriously. i watched it. didnt think it was played that well. didnt think of paul either

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Is this seriously another Gene Simmons thread?

TB needs some new topics, and fast.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    not... another... Gene Simons thread...

arrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg - make it stop!

6. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey

Yeah how many of these threads do we need? Technically nothing in all of Kiss's songs are that impressive but that's not what they were about. Weren't they about makin' rockin' songs and putting on a great show?
    Who really cares "how great" their chops were, they did what was necessary and did it very well. They also proved you don't have to be a master to make good songs and be successful. I am not a fan but my hats off to their success. Is Gene Simmons good? Good enough.

7. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    tapehead: Are you saying that difficulty is directly proportional to talent? A Wooten solo compared to an early McCartney verse may sound more complex, but it doesn't take a genius to hear that they are both amazing musicians.

Saying that "this song isn't hard, but neither is X song by The Beatles" isn't a valid justification of the thought process behind the music.

8. I see a Gene Simmons SX special edition bass in the future :meh:

9. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Really... I think I remember reading that Vinnie Vincent played guitar on Umasked. I believe it was in Gene's book.

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Not sure if youre supporting my post, or against it.. But either way, my opinion still stands.. We have enough Gene Simmons threads.. IMO.

11. I completely agree with that whole thing. I just think comapring Gene Simmons to Paul Mcartney (no fuso wanker) makes no sense. I like Kiss (except Beth, Bleck!) and can listen to more Kiss than Weather Report. Each has their place, but as uncultured as I am, I prefer good, simple rock and roll.

12. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
  13. I think Gene even considers himself more of "the Show" than the bass player in a good way,,, i seen some show where he did something for the military and they all thought it was going to be a KISS show but instead Gene threw some band together and he sang but didn't play bass? if he really loved the bass why would he want someone else playing it for him?

also,, wouldn't you think his kid would be playing bass or doing something musically and not just dressing up like Jim Morrison and tagging along with the sister everywhere, ha ha.

14. GradyBass

GradyBass

Oct 15, 2006
    Paris, France
    Me too! I saw Psycho Circus in 98 in LA, and looked at all of them and pointed to Gene and said "That's what I wanna do." 11 years later, I've done it all over the states and now am in Paris doing the same thing.

And come on ya'll, 100,000 years is a pretty cool bass line.

But I agree- they're not all amazing musicians, save for Frehley and Carr. It was about simple rock and roll- singing about sex, drugs, drinking, and, err, rock and roll. I own more KISS albums than any other band, save for live DMB stuff. No, I don't give them too many listens nowadays, but if it weren't for Gene, I may be playing guitar now! :bag:

15. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    I mostly see root-pumpers getting hazed. Gene is definately not one o_O Strutter, Detroit rock city, love gun, and I could go on and on, I mean c'mon!! They're really walkin' and give a lot to the song. Compared to alot of bass playing in the genre and at the time I would even dare to call it inventive!

16. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey

I support it just adding my .02. But I am sure this won't be the last Gene Simmons bashing/praising thread.

17. PopaWoody

PopaWoody The major rager

May 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Another Florida Bass player could NOT agree with your more. Thanks, well said

18. lewink

lewink

Jul 19, 2009
    Baldwinsville N.Y.
    Gene is good, Paul is great. IMO.

19. PopaWoody

PopaWoody The major rager

May 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Dude! just read a different thread. This is a bass forum.. Gene is a bass player...Am I missing something? Other than the fact that you do not like him and like to let people know that useless fact?

20. Bruins29

Bruins29

Jun 7, 2009
    Chicago
    These threads are amazing. First do people really get that offended if someone says their bass God is not great.? Get a life. There are more important things in life than someone saying your hero is not that great. So what....

Secondly, is there such a thing as a bad bass player? I guess you can play or you cant. Being "Good" is relative. Good comapard to who? It is also relative who is saying it. If you are a beginning bass player or not that great then I am sure old Gene seems pretty decent...and he his good if you are terrible.. I dont think many advanced players think Gene is good it all. Why should they. Album sales mean Zip and quite frankly I would bet did not write most of his parts given the way that band functioned. Gene is competent and I have played his songs but why are people so crazy about it?

Also, I suppose it would be impossible to rate any player. You can always use the argument that they were great songwriters and sold albums and have more money than anyone here....which does not make sense because 1. Its irrelevant and 2. This is a BASS PLAYERS Forum, not a popular forum.

Then if all else fails you can always use the "plays for the song" which is why I can say Pete Wentz is a good player. He plays for the song LOL.

It does seem ironic that the 2 bass players lately needing so much defending (Simmons and Waters) diddn't even play on some of thier own songs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021