Gene Simmons is Good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tapehead, Jul 27, 2009.

1. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    At first I thought this post said,"Gene Simmons is GOD"!

I thought, "finally, Gene Simmons is posting something on TalkBass"!!

Oh well.......

:D:D

2. Antagonyst

Antagonyst

Jul 24, 2009
    I would say that Gene Simmons on Bass is equal to Lars on drums. Very Basic. They fit the music they play very generic. That doesnt mean I wouldnt want there payroll though!

3. Quintars and Carrots, oh my.

4. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I can't stand either Nikki Sixx or Gene Simmons. Nor do I care for their respective bands. I share Nemi's opinion about Kiss (though I fortunately was never a Kiss fan, not even as a kid).

Attached Files:

5. :rollno::D

You da man!!

Shoot, the next thing you know, someone will say Nikki Sixx and "bass player" in the same sentence....

Oh the humanity!!

:D

6. PopaWoody

PopaWoody The major rager

May 28, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    lol I mentioned nikki sixx and pete wentz in another thread about signature basses. Only to have some panties get a lil wadded up. IMHO they are both mediocre bassists from successful acts.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
  8. tapehead

tapehead

May 27, 2008
    C'mon man that is unfair....Who is saying Gene is a great solo bassist? It seems to me there are two schools of bass here...The ones that like Claypool, Berlin, Wooten, Sheehan, etc...and the ones who like bass players that play good SONGS. Think Paul Mcartney can whip out a good bass solo? Show me.....
    I know Chris Squire is a better bass player than Gene..But I'd rather listen to Kiss than Yes anyday...even though I do like some Yes.

9. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Thank you, that's the one I was looking for. :)

People like Kiss, fine. I don't have a problem with that (why would I?). It only becomes silly when someone just because they like the band, has to hail Gene Simmons as a good bassist. That is just like saying Fab Morvan and Rob Pilatus were great singers. :)

It is your opinion an you are entitled to it, but don't get all upset when others disagree.

Carry on.

10. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    As far as showmanship goes, Alice Cooper puts on as good a show (if not better) than Kiss... AND they can all play... AND pre-date Kiss by about 4 years.

Showmanship and musical ability are NOT mutually exclusive

11. Bruins29

Bruins29

Jun 7, 2009
    Chicago
    I will alsk you again. Where did I say they suck? where did anyone here do that? I acually like some of Kiss's music and have played thier stuff in bands.

Can you read? Seriously....

12. Lulz

Lulz

Jun 5, 2009
    I respect any bassist who can stand up on stage and hold it down, which is more that I've seen from some of the big mouths here.

13. JukeBoxHero

JukeBoxHero

May 21, 2009
    There is three, the middle which like both the virtuoso bassists and the bassists that play good songs. I happen to be in that category.

14. Not trying to start yet another fight, but I disagree here. Lars is very basic (and couldn't play squat in the Mustaine days by his own admission), but he is a human metronome. Watching him play is kind of like watching paint dry IMO, he is just dedicated to keeping the steady beat. Gene could care less about groove and such when they play live, he is there to entertain and perform his oddball antics. Not casting judgement, I just don't see this as a very apt comparison.

15. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
  16. isisiscool

isisiscool

Jul 20, 2009
    Glendale
    Personally I hate is tone more then anything. It sounds like my old bus driver in middle school farting without lifting a leg. But Gene to me like was already said did not write most of his bass lines, that why when ace left his bass lines became mediocre. Also yes, alot of people do hate him for the way he was sold kiss out, and turned them into more of a show, the a rock n roll band.

17. look, you aren't going to convince me. Sorry. I have defended him along with you, I have said it doesn't matter, but the fact remains. Is he good for Kiss, sure. Is he entertaining, sure. Is he succeeding at what he does and making a killing, sure. Can he play some decent basslines, sure. Does he have a sense for groove, flawless rhythm and proficent technique. Nope.

18. I'm too lazy to read this whole post. KISS is a great band, even though their marketing gimmicks now are really getting to me. (Vote for your city, becomes how many tickets do you want?).....we won't come to your town if you don't buy a crap load of tickets.
    Sorry, heck with that. Personally I won't spend another penny on more "reunion tours, " etc.. I'm referring to the on-line poll that KISS is doing to decide where their biggest CASH market is for a tour in the US. How much more money can you guys want? LOL

Gene Simmons is a good bass player...but let's not forget a couple of things:

Paul Stanley played allot of bass , espcially on Destroyer. Paul wrote the bass line for Detroit Rock City. Allot of others as well, Sure Know Something off Dynasty, etc.

KISS didn't even play on half of their early LP's, it was session guys. (Kiss, Dressed to Kill, ec.) The record company didn't want to waste studio time, while the band was developing in the early 70's, so it was the old team of Steve Hunter & Dick Wagner (same thing with early Alice Cooper & ALice Cooper..........train kept a rollin is not Joe Perry & Brad W.) . I believe the session guys just played guitar parts, but who knows...maybe bass as well.

I'm a huge McCartney fan. I think comparing Gene to Paul is like comparing apples & oranges. Both are good for you! Just two different thoughts on bass playing.

19. emperorbassman

emperorbassman

Apr 25, 2006
    i have seen kiss about 6 times going all the way back to Creatures of the night tour 1983. Gene bass playing live is about as good as anyone else out there playing live. he holds down a good groove and does not make any mistakes that made me go oh ****!!
    As for the Beatles comparison i would just ad that everyone who was playing music back in the late 60's and 70's who was not tring to pull off bass lines like the Beatles was not playing bass very good. Gene has mentioned in his book that he is a huge Paul fan and the first three records I hear it, from destroyer on he has taken his own flight.
    Gene's tone live in the old days was much better than now. Today he sounds like he has a bunch of effects on his rig and i wish he would go back to the svt set up of the early days.
    The band well thats another story. I saw Ace this spring in san Fransisco and i wish he played that good when he was in kiss after the 96 tour which he was bad ass. Ace has a much better thing going solo than he did on the last two tours he did with gene and paul. Peter I have no idea what he is up to but if you want to say something bad about his playing I would just say leave the old guy alone. and for you gene haters same to you. the dude has made MILLIONS playing music , his mom made it through the Nazi death camps and Gene is still touring and tring to make a buck. how can you hate a guy who likes to work and has a good family??? look in the mirror bro. look again.
    Eric a old kiss fan in Sacramento :bassist:

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021