Gene Simmons is Good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tapehead, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Another thing to blame him for.

2. pigsonthewing

pigsonthewing

Jul 7, 2009
    New Yawwk
    I can't tell if that's an insult or a supportive comment

3. McCartney sucks ass too.

4. pigsonthewing

pigsonthewing

Jul 7, 2009
    New Yawwk
    What?!

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    This thread is still around?

Wow..

6. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Not exactly an insult, but it sure as hell isn't supportive. The view you and a couple other guys are taking is very narrow-minded. Someone playing a lot of notes is no less of a bass player than someone who pounds out straight eighths in rock, or midtempo 1-5s in a country song.

7. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Just saw TOOL tonight, and Justin did a bass solo that led into an intro jam with Danny Carey. It was very Gene Simmons, complete with distorted bass and repeated pounding. I couldn't help but think because it's TOOL, Justin Chancellor is great. If it were Gene, then it MUST suck.
    I loved the TOOL show, but the theatrics were very Kiss influenced. HA! Dude said "McCartney sucks ass too". Great line. I love to hear people hate on the greats. It's like taboo, but very fun to hear.

8. Ef4

Ef4

Jul 28, 2009
    I don't like gene simmons or kiss, but I respect gene simmons as a great business man.

9. pigsonthewing

pigsonthewing

Jul 7, 2009
    New Yawwk
    No, I wasn't clear in my message, that's not how I feel..it ws from a previous guy who was saying that anything not super-complicated isn't talented. Like for example, I like Jaco, but one of my favorite bass players is Roger Waters, yet people say since he didn't start slapping all over the fretboard like a madman, that he was a crap-bass player. Still, I do think that if you're not keeping the tempo of the song, you're not usually playing out the role of the bass player..I don't think it sounds musical, and I feel the same way about music-less guitar players like Yngwie Malmsteen who just show off skills insted of playing MUSIC.
    But I don't think that anything makes a bass player "less of a bassist", it's just not my cup of tea

10. Lulz

Lulz

Jun 5, 2009
    You know, I think Vic Wooten is hated on this forum more than Gene Simmons.

Because people never shut up about "if dey r not vic wooten they r ****".

12. Dude, MACCA is a bass god who influenced many.

13. Frankly, I like Kiss' theatrics much better. The first time I saw Tool it was all music. The next time there was a lot of odd noise and some dude hanging from the ceiling naked doing some goofy air ballet crap. With Kiss, the theatrics are what you come for, with Tool I'd rather just hear the music. And Chancellor's playing is why he is good, not his solos.

14. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Adulating any bass player as a god is taking it too far. McCartney is an innovative bass player who has influenced many bass players. I like his Beatles playing. He's not a god to me. There are other players I like much more. They're not gods either.

15. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Gene is a genius, at marketing. For such a rich guy can't he get a better haircut?

16. In fairness he did say a bass god, which is understood to be a bit different from a God type of god. Either way, I think you have touched on a big part of this problem. Celebrity worhsip. Its sickening. I have a lot of heroes, people who I look up to and inspire me that I don't know, but the worship level things are taken too is why this kind of discussion gets all ugly. celebrities take dumps, have BO if they dont shower, get the flu, do laundry, and all number of other things gods wouldn't do. They are admirable for what they accomplish, they are NOT worthy of worship.

17. GradyBass

GradyBass

Oct 15, 2006
    Paris, France
    Someone... please.... kill this thread....

18. Grady,
    Agreed. Love the sig by the way.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    This is by far the stupidest of the Gene Simmons threads. For some reason, everyone's out for blood with Gene (pardon the pun). I've heard a ton of worse bassists get much more respect on here. Stupid.

20. Yeah, what about Fieldy and Warwicks? Those are the recognized whipping boys, please use them.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021