Gene Simmons is Good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tapehead, Jul 27, 2009.

1. well if anyone hates him they are pure ignorant, since the odds that anyone on here knows him personally are pretty slim. I just don't think he is a technically skilled bass player. Right or wrong, my logic is: If I can do it, it ain't that hard.

2. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    +1.

I don't think I'll ever understand how "fans" can get so pissed off when someone makes a disparaging remark about whomever they idolize. People need to chill out and try to understand where other people are coming from.

Still, this argument that someone famous must be extremely talented in music is just wrong. Plain and simple. If that's the case, we could say the Jonas Brother must be extremely talented at their instruments and can probably play circles around people like Steve Vai and Victor Wooten because more people know about them (the J Bros) and more people in general will probably remember them.

These guys are extremely talented at being entertainers and appeasing their respective audiences, but that doesn't mean they're any better at playing than they are.

3. MoBeach

MoBeach Guest

Okay, everyone sing "you're gonna lose your mind in detroit, rock city" while playing the bass line, it's not easy :smug: with that being said I still think he's an average bassist but there are some songs that are tough to sing and play simultaneously.

4. pigsonthewing

pigsonthewing

Jul 7, 2009
    New Yawwk
    I can obviously read, and I wasn't speaking literally, but for a bassist to be good doesn't mean you have to play like Victor Wooten

5. xk49w

xk49w Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2008
    To me, his bass playing has always been supportive of the Kiss show, the music etc. Regarding the bad rap, I've always thought it was personal rather than his musicianship; people just don't like the guy, for a variety of reasons probably related to his public persona. His interview with Terry Gross on her show Fresh Air probably didn't help.

6. tapehead

tapehead

May 27, 2008

7. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Thanks for posting the link. I've wanted to post that before, but it isn't archived on NPR.
    Funny thing is, (some) people who like him think he comes off really intelligent in that interview. Go figure.

8. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    I'm probably the single biggest KISS fan, but I have to say that interview was a mistake, in which he came off as an arrogant, cheesy, self delusional ****.

Funny, because I remember watching my KISS dvd from 2004, and when they played the RTN tour, they played a couple of shows in Australia in theatres with no fireworks or anything flashy. During that, Gene and Paul both said it felt good to play that way, and Gene said that it proved KISS isn't about the bombs, splits, missiles, or anything else you think it's about...."KISS is about songs" Yes, he ACTUALLY said that.:smug:

9. Its just ALWAYS been trendy to hate KISS and anything associated with it. I have NO problem at all with GS. I've learned alot from him over all these years.

10. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Early KISS has his greatest lines! Firehouse, Parasite, Hotter Then Hell, Hard Luck Woman and Dr. Love have great lines!. the Destroyer album has some great bass lines as well! Granted hes not the best but he knows how to create some great lines!

11. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    I can't speak for other people, I really couldn't care less about how he acts. I'm basing my opinion solely on his bass playing, because it's essentially the only thing I know about him.

12. +1. If you want to play a million notes a bar you should have been a guitar player.

13. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    Where did you get this info? That's the first I've heard of it.

GENERALLY....besides the first 3 albums where the original members played on the tracks.

Songs Paul wrote, Paul played bass on, or the lead guitarist in the band at the time did. There are some exceptions later on (Jean Beauvior on Uh! All Night)

Songs Gene wrote, Gene generally played bass on.

Songs Ace wrote Ace generally played bass on.

Dick Wagoner played on "Sweet Pain" off of Destroyer. Differing stories, but either Ace was drunk or more likely the producer used it as a power play (like with Aerosmith, Floyd etc.)

14. Interesting note on Eric Singers auditon.........in addition to playing drums, he had to learn all the vocal parts to some Beatles songs....all the parts, harmonies, etc. in addtion to playing the drums. Thaty's a hell of an audiition.
    I've seen KISS since 1978. The last I saw them was in 1997.

15. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    I think to say McCartney is great and Gene sucks is just stupidity. Technically, neither is amazing, but both play clever, melodic bass lines. Gene does it in a Monster costume and high heels also. I've met so many bass and guitar players who CAN'T play Kiss riffs very well at all, and talk about how bad they are. The Bass solo in the Kiss show is for Gene to spit blood. Don't be a jackazz and act like he fails to be Jaco. How come Jaco didn't spit blood in his solo? Stupid, right? You got to put it all in context. Kiss is an entertainment machine. They also have TONS of great hard rock tunes. So many other rock bands are considered incredible and there tunes are so basic also, and in most cases, directly inspired by Kiss. If you hate Gene, great. I love hearing it. It IS a forum and there will be those that attack. I do it myself. When I think of the Beatles, for example, I think of vocal melodies and accompanying chording. Not reallly a riffing band. Kiss is far more riff oriented. They have huge rock riffs. The bass playing in both bands is very similar, unless you are deaf. But check out some great Kiss riffs and the bass that goes with them, ie "Watchin' You", "Goin' Blind", "Deuce", "Black Diamond", "Parasite", "Strutter", "She", "Two Timer", "Sweet Pain", etc, etc.
    However, it would have been very cool to see Jaco blow fire and fly with blood all over his Jazz bass.....

16. pigsonthewing

pigsonthewing

Jul 7, 2009
    New Yawwk
    exactly. you're no longer playing the role of a bass player!

17. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Three cheers for reverse snobbery.

18. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    If it weren't for Gene, Van Halen MAY(MAY) not be around, or have ever risen to the spotlight. HE discovered them, HE listened to their demo, and it was ultimately HE who got them started.

JUST SAYIN!!

19. wow. I've made my (positive) comments on Gene's playing pretty clear in other threads, which is why I've had no desire to join in the redundant reindeer games here. That being said, what an ASS he was in that interview!!!

20. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    He has a lot to answer for.

GregC likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021