Gene Simmons

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jtz, Mar 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jtz

jtz

Sep 17, 2011
    Kiss explored the concept of seriously composing music in 12 bar; The only thing was, it got so awkward that they had to wear masks to conceal their identity. Gene knew actual composers in New York who studied classical music, from his connections in the Jewish Community. He gets a nice bass drive going, after Felix Pappalardi figured out how to make it wicked, and recorded "Mississippi Queen" with Mountain. That's the first real bass overdrive sound ever recorded and most people would think it's guitar, but you and I know better!

Anyway, Kiss' single "I want to rock and roll all night (and Party every day)" was terrible and at some level, I believe that even Kiss themselves thought that. But they cut so many records and they are all good and all legitimate 12 bar compositions that Kiss and Gene Simmons deserve special mentioning on these boards. Look at how many records Kiss put out:

Kiss (band) - Wikipedia

And they are all good, as long as you are up for a little 12 bar music, preformed with electric guitars and basses. It's almost as if a DJ (wink wink) has a little career there is he's clever, DJing obscure Kiss tunes for people in dive bars. How about a little respect for Gene Simmon's commitment to the cause of cheap, fun rock music that isn't afraid to take itself too seriously, because of how easy it is to make?

Here I'll do you one better: If you are just an amateur like I am, looking to have a little fun on a friday night, why not pick up a book of Kiss Tablature? Doesn't seem like a terrible idea...

https://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Best...017&sr=8-1&keywords=kiss+guitar+and+bass+tabs

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Not a fan. Never bought their music. Went to see them live in 1982. Watched the warm up act and stayed for about 15 mins of KISS. Left the arena and went to McDonalds

InnerBass, GregC, stigbeve and 17 others like this.
  3. jtz

jtz

Sep 17, 2011
    Promise you I wouldn't have either. In hindsight though, since it's all free on youtube I checked it out and they're good; You need a buddy who likes them to put you onto them, and it's over....

Just TRY Kiss; Track 1 off their debut album:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Like some of their songs, but despise the band and the man, what a bunch of jerks. No offense to fans.

Tekkers, stigbeve, Artman and 6 others like this.
  5. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Simple fun party music. Best when not analyzed for musicianship nor taken too seriously. In that context, I like Kiss.

tindrum, pudgychef, DrayMiles and 6 others like this.
  6. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    When I was in my early teens, I loved Kiss. I'm not sure I would have gotten into playing music if it hadn't been for them. So I will always have a certain appreciation for that. But my tastes moved on long ago.

7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa
    If you run a search on here, there are a bunch of threads about Gene Simmons and Kiss. Most people either love them or don't like them. Me, I'm indifferent. But I have friends who were into them big time growing up. They can play and are showmen for sure.

8. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    Gene plays what the song needs no more, no less. I try to do that.

I don't care for him as a person, but this is a bass forum.

9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I think I would rather pick up dog droppings from the neighbors yard, and fling them at squirrels for an encore...

... no offense to the dogs, nor the squirrels...

Ghook, Tekkers, GregC and 10 others like this.
  10. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
  11. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Gateway drug for a lot of rockers.:woot:

12. J Gold

J Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    Not a Kiss fan really, though I do play them occasionally in my catalog of songs to be played at a bar at 1:30am-because there are a ton of Kiss fans out there and it’s my job to entertain them.

Also- is Rock and Roll All Nite a 12 bar?

13. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    I think the OP thinks that KISS material is just Blues tunes played loud. Not the case.

14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Music for 12 year olds. Once you surpass that level of musical sophistication, it’s hard not to be embarrassed for grown men prancing around in costumes playing such drivel. Add in Gene’s corrosive personality and it gets worse. Awful. Sophomoric. Unlistenable at any volume.

15. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    Geez, why all the haters? I’m not a KISS fan myself but they do have quite a few foot stomping tunes that were very successful. Just don’t understand how someone can thumb their nose at that when few of us will even reach 1% of that success. Maybe it’s not for you but they deserve props for making something unique *and* highly successful. Or are you jealous? :roflmao:

16. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

My strongest association for Kiss is an old boss who would blast it from his Corvette convertible. On the day he bought it (brand new) he gave me a ride home from work. Or rather, gave me the keys so I could drive home while he sipped from a very large rum and coke and sang along with Kiss tunes I hadn't heard before or since.

You let me do 110+ in a 'Vette with 25 miles on the OD, you can play whatever you want!

17. I couldn't have said that any better. :vomit:

bolophonic, Loring and Gilmourisgod like this.
  18. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

I LOVE the passion you have for this, as if they are a new band that almost nobody has heard of!

"Just TRY Kiss." "you need a buddy...to put you onto them, and it's over!" That is riotous! Are you Gene Simmons and is your bank account getting under $100,000,000?

Side note: I recall a Bass Player interview (1996 or 97) with Gene and the BP guy says something like: "Kiss gets a bad rap as not being very musically sophisticated but in such and such song, which is major, you play a minor 3rd on a major chord...."
    Gene: "Huh?"

Friggin awesome! You can't make this shizzle up! Of course, Gene didn't just say "huh" but elaborated on just playing what sounds good to the loins or something... Bingo! Gene is on a beach somewhere (among more in a totally awesome life) and we're here.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    bobyoung53, catcauphonic and Sixgunn like this.
  19. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
  20. There area handful of Kiss songs that I like. I appreciate people's passion for them, but if I never hear another Kiss song again, it wouldn't bother me..haha

Ant Illington likes this.